header.nohb.html

Remo Drums

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on Remo drums?

I hear mostly good things about their sound, and that they are heavy shells, although I'm not sure of their material. They were somewhat short lived, but the great Louie Bellson played them and was a part owner I believe as well. Other than that, I don't know to much, but I am intrigued by them.

They are pretty pricey on the used market, and somewhat rare, but they look really well built and they're wraps/finishes are very cool IMHO. I'm not sure if they are better suited for jazz or rock, or who their market was intended for. I'm also not sure of their model hierarchy either, so maybe that would be a good place to start.

Does anyone here play a Remo kit or had one before?

(and on drumheads, I'm an Evans guy, so go figure how I'm attracted to Remo drums! :-D )

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
1) is they barely make em anymore
2) the last series was Gold Crown had die cast hoops
3) the previous was Masteredge with a molded rering molded in
4) prior was Mastertouch a straight shell
5) was a sub series finish called Venwood blue green black natural colours
6) another series had Conga style heads forget what they were called (don't want to remember)
7) Have over the years collected about 3,4 or 5 of their catalogs.

Never played them or owned a set
So can't tell ya much sorry..

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
when they first came out they had problems with the drums folding under tension.

There was also a series that used their pre tuned heads...they were an intro to an intro in drumming.

I've heard some...a pretty big local rock band used them for quite a while...and they had some jazz fans...

I heard one of the reasons they fell out of favor was that other drum companies stopped selling their kits with Remo's heads...since they were competition....dunno if its true

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
JDA did a great job on the timeline. The shells are (were) made of Acousticon:
I have a couple of sets with Acousticon 516 shells - a 10/12/13/14/16/22 kit where the 10/12/13 are power toms, so I don't use it as much, but it sounds great. I also have a 12/14/18 kit that I put together from orphans that also sounds great - I have S Hoops on it which gives it a Gretsch kind of vibe.
I'm kind of surprised that you're finding them to be expensive used. I guess I could see it with the Gold Crown drums, but I occasionally see the other series like Masteredge or Mastertouch, and they seem like they're a tough sell because not that many people know about them. They tend to get made fun of a lot - guys will say that they're made of sawdust and glue or cardboard - but the guys saying this are usually playing plywood drums, but when I point that out to them they don't seem to get it.
Besides being heavy, the other problem with them is the mounts and spurs. They are both massive and heavy - the bass drum tom bracket uses a 1.25 inch tube, which is tough to find if the original is missing. In spite of all that I really like the drums. They are extremely consistent, and have a nice clear sound that I really like.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of sets with Acousticon 516 shells - a 10/12/13/14/16/22 kit where the 10/12/13 are power toms, so I don't use it as much, but it sounds great. I also have a 12/14/18 kit that I put together from orphans that also sounds great - I have S Hoops on it which gives it a Gretsch kind of vibe.
I'm kind of surprised that you're finding them to be expensive used. I guess I could see it with the Gold Crown drums, but I occasionally see the other series like Masteredge or Mastertouch, and they seem like they're a tough sell because not that many people know about them. They tend to get made fun of a lot - guys will say that they're made of sawdust and glue or cardboard - but the guys saying this are usually playing plywood drums, but when I point that out to them they don't seem to get it.
Besides being heavy, the other problem with them is the mounts and spurs. They are both massive and heavy - the bass drum tom bracket uses a 1.25 inch tube, which is tough to find if the original is missing. In spite of all that I really like the drums. They are extremely consistent, and have a nice clear sound that I really like.

Great info guys!

Yes, Acousticon, that's the name I was trying to think of. Yeah it was the Gold Crown series that goes for some serious cash. But they're really beautiful and I like them a lot.

Glad to hear they sound really good, which is what I've heard. These are on my short list of vintage drums. Is there a big difference in the Gold Crown and the Masteredge or Mastertouch series sound wise? Because there is a considerable price difference.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I don't have experience with Remo drums. Just their Roto-Toms. I have a 10" and 12". I currently use the 10" as a small mounted tom with 8x12 and 9x13 mounted toms.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score

Sounds like you put a nice bop kit together, which interests me. Did Remo make an 18" bass drum or did you convert a floor tom? I haven't seen any 18" BDs in my searches.

And I don't really care about what people say about these drums, I mean, if they were good enough for Louie Bellson and Jeff Hamilton? nuff said! :-D

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you put a nice bop kit together, which interests me. Did Remo make an 18" bass drum or did you convert a floor tom? I haven't seen any 18" BDs in my searches.

And I don't really care about what people say about these drums, I mean, if they were good enough for Louie Bellson and Jeff Hamilton? nuff said! :-D
It was an odd Craigslist deal. It's an actual 18 x 14 bass drum. I seem to remember that it was in a picture in the ad, and I recognized it. I think the seller had a bigger set and the 18" was an extra drum.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
They most certainly did.. There was iirc also a lower priced line same shell as Mastertouch (correct if I'm wrong -might be) called BRAVO they had a square rectangular Lug..

Yes, there is a Bravo line of Remo drums, and they can be found pretty cheaply compared to the Mastertouch and Gold Crowns. Not sure what makes them so cheap if they use the same shells. Must be the hardware?

Good to know they make an 18" BD.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's Mr. Bellson on a set of REMO PTS drums. Pre-tuned cardboard shells.

Remo-PTS-Snare-Drum-Band-Drum-Remo-14”.jpg

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, there is a Bravo line of Remo drums, and they can be found pretty cheaply compared to the Mastertouch and Gold Crowns. Not sure what makes them so cheap if they use the same shells. Must be the hardware?

Good to know they make an 18" BD.
The Bravo used different and probably less expensive hardware, and were solid color wrapped finishes. I don't think they were available in as many sizes - I remember mostly power toms and 22" bass drums. The 18" bass drum I have is a Mastertouch.

Reactions: JDA

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's Mr. Bellson on a set of REMO PTS drums. Pre-tuned cardboard shells.

View attachment 444561

I know it's Louie Bellson playing this kit, and he can make "cardboard" boxes sound good, but that's a pretty darn good sounding kit in any case. Especially considering the mediocre recording quality. Nice! :cool:

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, look what I found -

The video is 9 years old, but at least I got to see and listen to a Remo bop kit. :)