Remo Drums

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a Remo snare in the early-mid '90s. I don't recall the model, but it was 6.5x14, with a chrome wrap, and a dark wood interior. It sounded beefy and was loud as heck. I used it for at least one recording back then, including this one with my old hippy-punk band Freak Beans:

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played a Remo snare in the early-mid '90s. I don't recall the model, but it was 6.5x14, with a chrome wrap, and a dark wood interior. It sounded beefy and was loud as heck. I used it for at least one recording back then, including this one with my old hippy-punk band Freak Beans:

Sounds really good! Nice playing and cool tune as well.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's Louie playing his BIG, beautiful, Mastertouch set on The Tonight Show.

Nice kit! Great open sound. And Louie just nailing it. He was really one of the greats who doesn't always get spoken of when talking about the top drummers of all time.

And man, can we use some Johnny Carson these days! Reminds me of happier, simpler times...

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
The Remo shell called Acousticon, is made up of multiple recycled fibers of different wood types held together with Remo’s lamination under pressure with additive resins! Hence the shell is heavily weighted.

geomac

Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on Remo drums?

I hear mostly good things about their sound, and that they are heavy shells, although I'm not sure of their material. They were somewhat short lived, but the great Louie Bellson played them and was a part owner I believe as well. Other than that, I don't know to much, but I am intrigued by them.

They are pretty pricey on the used market, and somewhat rare, but they look really well built and they're wraps/finishes are very cool IMHO. I'm not sure if they are better suited for jazz or rock, or who their market was intended for. I'm also not sure of their model hierarchy either, so maybe that would be a good place to start.

Does anyone here play a Remo kit or had one before?

(and on drumheads, I'm an Evans guy, so go figure how I'm attracted to Remo drums! :-D )
Louie Bellson used them and I have a rare set of the Mondo series $$$

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louie Bellson used them and I have a rare set of the Mondo series $$$

Welcome to the forum, I noticed it was your first post!

I'd love to see pictures of your kit if your able to post them. I haven't heard of, nor come across the Mondo series. Were they top of the line at some point for Remo's?

drumtek

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I noticed it was your first post!

I'd love to see pictures of your kit if your able to post them. I haven't heard of, nor come across the Mondo series. Were they top of the line at some point for Remo's?

Heres a couple pictures of my Mondo setup
652043fb-7882-4ce5-8c5d-a9a98f173a9a.jpg
20190701_180402.jpg

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a couple pictures of my Mondo setup View attachment 445152 View attachment 445153

Oh man, that looks like a great set up! Love the finish.

I have seen these once before, so I have to ask, what is on top of the drum heads on the rack toms? And why did they use 2 different lug types top and bottom? I'm not sure if you know the answers to that one though!

drumtek

Reaction score
Oh man, that looks like a great set up! Love the finish.

I have seen these once before, so I have to ask, what is on top of the drum heads on the rack toms? And why did they use 2 different lug types top and bottom? I'm not sure if you know the answers to that one though!
The top heads on the tom's and snares are djembe heads. The concept was to be able the play the drums by hand or with sticks

I have the original brochure in PDF. I'm moving this weekend but will try to get them posted soon

Han

Reaction score
I owned a Remo kit years ago and never really liked them very much. From what i remember they were a little choked or not very dynamic, and they seemed to favor one area when it came to tuning.

bikeboy

Reaction score

I hear mostly good things about their sound, and that they are heavy shells, although I'm not sure of their material. They were somewhat short lived, but the great Louie Bellson played them and was a part owner I believe as well. Other than that, I don't know to much, but I am intrigued by them.

They are pretty pricey on the used market, and somewhat rare, but they look really well built and they're wraps/finishes are very cool IMHO. I'm not sure if they are better suited for jazz or rock, or who their market was intended for. I'm also not sure of their model hierarchy either, so maybe that would be a good place to start.

(and on drumheads, I'm an Evans guy, so go figure how I'm attracted to Remo drums! :-D )

bikeboy

Reaction score

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
great tunes, drumming, and Remo snare! You guys would have been great to open for Fugazi.

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! As you can hear, Fugazi was a big influence on our band. This EP was recorded at Inner Ear studio in Arlington, VA with Don Zientara, who did all the Fugazi stuff. Being from Annapolis, we played with a few Dischord bands, too, during our brief run. It was definitely a great time to be in a band and playing shows. And, to keep this thread "vintage" appropriate, Fugazi's drummer Brendan Canty played a sweet rosewood Gretsch kit, I think from 80s. And I played a 1961 Leedy kit, along with the Remo snare.

drumtek

Reaction score
The top heads on the tom's and snares are djembe heads. The concept was to be able the play the drums by hand or with sticks

I have the original brochure in PDF. I'm moving this weekend but will try to get them posted soon

Attachments

• mondo drum-set flyer 1 of 3.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 57
  • mondo drum-set flyer 2 of 3.pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 33
  • mondo drum-set flyer 3 of 3.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 38