header.nohb.html

Remo Drums

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have a Remo Mondo set, very versatile, there are so many unique sounds you can make on these drums with the flush heads. I know people still can't forget the earlier shells, but these molded bearing edges are as tough as you're going to find on any drum. I wail on the edges and they take it.

I would love to find a Gold Crown bop kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_192323.jpg
    IMG_20190918_192323.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20190918_192305.jpg
    IMG_20190918_192305.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20190919_173619.jpg
    IMG_20190919_173619.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also have a Remo Mondo set, very versatile, there are so many unique sounds you can make on these drums with the flush heads. I know people still can't forget the earlier shells, but these molded bearing edges are as tough as you're going to find on any drum. I wail on the edges and they take it.

I would love to find a Gold Crown bop kit.

Great looking kit! And yeah, those bearing edges look very tough indeed, wow!

The Gold Crown bop kit is on my short list of desirable bop kits. Kind of a rare bird I think, so chances are we might compete for one someday! :)

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Were the mastertouch acousticon 516 shells really stupid heavy to be carrying round ?

I heard a Ricky Lawson clinic years ago and he had a set that sounded incredible.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Were the mastertouch acousticon 516 shells really stupid heavy to be carrying round ?

I heard a Ricky Lawson clinic years ago and he had a set that sounded incredible.

I hear they are very heavy. Composite woods usually are.

Jeff Hamilton also played them for years, and yeah, they sounded really good. Louie Bellson not only played them, but was a friend and investor in them with Mr. Remo, but there were times they didn't sound quite up to par. Could have been the early ones though.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score

Sure, 516 & 316 Acousticon shells have some perceptible weight but it's not drastically heavy in my opinion.
As I'm sure you're aware, lots of drums may weigh a bit more than others, it just the nature of the instrument. No big deal (to me) I carried mine around for years without thinking about what they weighed.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure, 516 & 316 Acousticon shells have some perceptible weight but it's not drastically heavy in my opinion.
As I'm sure you're aware, lots of drums may weigh a bit more than others, it just the nature of the instrument. No big deal (to me) I carried mine around for years without thinking about what they weighed.
I would agree. They're probably heavier than average, but for me a lot would have to do with the sizes of the drums I would need for the gig. I've got a traditional depth 12/14/18 jazz kit that wouldn't bother me in the least to haul around. My 10/12/16/22 power depth kit would require a little more thought, and an easy load in.

bikeboy

Reaction score
Here's my Acousticon Masteredge kit, 18/12/14 (also have a 10) and 5.5x14 snare. Kind of interesting, my Mom-in-law was a lifelong friend of Remo Belli (RIP,) and got this kit from him as a surprise present for my 40th birthday, in 2002. Pretty amazing gift! They were reportedly a demo kit for NAMM sometime before I got them, and have a real pretty honey maple colored wrap. They do sound good and big for their sizes. The kick is really deep, 16 or 18 in, and they are quite heavy. I will never sell them.
18C9BD1A-6DB4-4A2F-8CE1-55BF67ECC10E.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's my Acousticon Masteredge kit, 18/12/14 (also have a 10) and 5.5x14 snare. Kind of interesting, my Mom-in-law was a lifelong friend of Remo Belli (RIP,) and got this kit from him as a surprise present for my 40th birthday, in 2002. Pretty amazing gift! They were reportedly a demo kit for NAMM sometime before I got them, and have a real pretty honey maple colored wrap. They do sound good and big for their sizes. The kick is really deep, 16 or 18 in, and they are quite heavy. I will never sell them. View attachment 495749
Like to see them from the side angle and maybe with the 10 also.. Lovely!!

Jam-Man

Reaction score
Here's my Acousticon Masteredge kit, 18/12/14 (also have a 10) and 5.5x14 snare. Kind of interesting, my Mom-in-law was a lifelong friend of Remo Belli (RIP,) and got this kit from him as a surprise present for my 40th birthday, in 2002. Pretty amazing gift! They were reportedly a demo kit for NAMM sometime before I got them, and have a real pretty honey maple colored wrap. They do sound good and big for their sizes. The kick is really deep, 16 or 18 in, and they are quite heavy. I will never sell them. View attachment 495749
Really cool kit.

biblebob

Reaction score
I Love my Remo Drum Set I used to play Ludwig Vistilite Drum Sets years ago and I really Love the sound of Acrylic Drums I seen on a Pearl Drum Forum someone said that Remo Drums Sound like combination of Wood and Acrylic I just Love the sound of my Remo Drums the only thing is I use Evans Heads...I was over at Remo in North Hollywood alot years ago and I told the Remo person there I was sorry I used Evans Heads on my Remo Drums and he said it was ok...Wow was I relieved! Great People and Products at Remo I wish they still made Drum Sets...Great Drums!

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As far as weight goes that could vary a bit because of the thickness of the shell,from what I understand the 316 model was 3/16 thick,516 5/16 716 7/16ths etc.

jim r

Reaction score
I had a bop kit of the Gold Crown series. I sold the kit but kept the snare. It sounds great. if someone is interested in it make me a offer. Die cast hoops. Its the green finish. Dont know what they call it. 5 or 5 1/2 size. exc shape.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Carl Palmer use a set of Remos when he and Keith Emerson had the band 3. In a 1000 seat club no less. Keith had his giant Moog, a C3 and a 9 ft grand up there, too. Carl sounded like Carl.

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd never played one and then over the past couple of years a bunch of Remo stuff has crossed my path.

First I was looking after a venue's drums during lockdown and tried repairing what I believe was an Encore. It weighed a ton & doing any work on a battered old house kit was almost fruitless. Then I picked up a black 18", 12", 14" & whilst I quite liked it it also weighed a ton. Then I went looking for goodies at a collection in Wales and mixed up with it was the kit Gilson Lavis used to play with Jools Holland, this one in a fun clip with Charlie Watts & Steve White too:

Funnily enough I have a WFL Ludwig jazz festival that used to be Gilson's & it's a fabulous drum. Anyway there was also one of the kits with the Porsche finish. I didn't come away with either but i did find a spare arm for the kit I had found.

And just yesterday I was given a triple mount by a mate, room for two toms and a cymbal arm. Not sure if it's worth anything. Might be handy. Bloody heavy :)

What will find me next?........