Remo head reformulation?

Iristone

Reaction score
Sorry for my verbose postings today, but I've noticed another interesting phenomenon. I've bought a new Remo coated Ambassador head. I think it's the best coated Remo I've had ever! The coating is thick matte white, similar to a Vintage Ambassador I bought last year (I used to believe the VAs come with superior coatings) whereas my old coated Remos (assorted from 2016-18) have a slighty translucent, gray-ish tint. The tone is even fatter and a bit more controlled than the Vintage Ambassador head it was replacing, with a very defined attack. Probably to be expected from a dense, solid coating. Maybe they've changed some of the formula? I think they used to be notorious for coating peeling off, but I've been practising with brushes on my recent VAs too, and so far there's not a scrape mark. Seems possible they've upgraded them a bit. :thumbup:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Sorry for my verbose postings today, but I've noticed another interesting phenomenon. I've bought a new Remo coated Ambassador head. I think it's the best coated Remo I've had ever! The coating is thick matte white, similar to a Vintage Ambassador I bought last year (I used to believe the VAs come with superior coatings) whereas my old coated Remos (assorted from 2016-18) have a slighty translucent, gray-ish tint. The tone is even fatter and a bit more controlled than the Vintage Ambassador head it was replacing, with a very defined attack. Probably to be expected from a dense, solid coating. Maybe they've changed some of the formula? I think they used to be notorious for coating peeling off, but I've been practising with brushes on my recent VAs too, and so far there's not a scrape mark. Seems possible they've upgraded them a bit. :thumbup:
Post an update in awhile after usage if you think of it.
My whole 47 years of keeping the beat were Remo Coated Amb.’s till the coating was a problem wearing off quickly. I switched to Aquarian about 2 years ago.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Guessing they used the same coating on the vintage ambassadors but those are two ply heads and the coating is on the thinner top ply so it may seem different.

Browny

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the new Remo heads I've put on most recently, some classic fit ambassadors on the toms and a CS dot on the snare, all appear to be holding up much better than normal. There's some stick marks and the like but the coating is still there without any wear marks, chips, flaking, etc.

The snare has probably had 30 hours of play and the toms probably around 40 hours. They've been tuned med-low for probably 60% of that time and closer to medium for the remainder. I'm hitting them pretty hard with 5Bs in a rock context, quite a bit of tom riding, etc that goes on.

My instinct is that something has to have changed, perhaps only slightly, be it the coating formula or application process... regardless, I'm happy with the results so far.

Iristone

Reaction score
On second thought maybe that's something to do with the stiffness of those newer, un-broken-in coatings. I can only guess now, but I'll probably invent in some more. At least it's getting better!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
They'll never do it, but my wish is for the return of the Legacy head.
That was the best sounding drumhead I ever played on.
Glad to hear about the coating. Never was an issue for me, but I remember hearing a lot of complaints in the past...and not just about Remo.

Elvis

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a new CS Reverse Dot Coated on my Copperphonic. So far, coating has not chipped, and seems to he holding up as well as my WFL III Aluminum that has an Aquarian Studio X.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
If they did, it was smart to quietly improve it and not say 'we fixed that flaking issue'. Because then there'd be a new crop of whiners saying 'oh they're more durable but they don't have the boquet of the early millenial heads.'

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played remos from the start and probably always will, but I really wish they would return to the smaller logo. I know it is just cosmetic and should not really matter, but I think the huge logos on the modern heads look incredibly gaudy almost to the point of being embarrassing. Especially on the smaller heads.