remo no collar SS heads

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any body had any experience with the no collar snare side heads. Don't care much for the collar ones as they draw down too much when cranked. Prefer ludwig SS, but hard to find.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you saying Remo makes no-collar snare side heads? why Yes. Yes they do ; )

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any body had any experience with the no collar snare side heads. Don't care much for the collar ones as they draw down too much when cranked.
I've been using them for over 30 years. There is also the hazy version:

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea. Makes sense though. I can think of at least one drum I have that this would be good for.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So is there actually no collar or is there something to guide it on to the head? What is the usual application?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use the Remo no collar hazy on my Ludwig metal snare drums. They are fantastic. I prefer the hazy film on snare side heads to any other version or manufacturer.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
They are all I use.
Same here. They sound great and take away any worry of drawing down too much on any snare.

So is there actually no collar or is there something to guide it on to the head? What is the usual application?
I don't have to do anything different with them. There is enough material to catch the edge and tighten up normally. I think these are great for those who love to crank the snare side, but you don't have to do that to use them.

Renoroger

Reaction score
I’ve been using them for 10-12 years - there is a small collar so they go on easily and I enjoy the “clear” look to them like the original Dyna-Sonics had. I have a couple of different extended-snare drums that can make the minimal pull down a bit dicey at first. I always keep a few standard SA’s around for that possibility…

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any difference between these and Aquarian with the no-slip collar? I mean if you have a collared head that won't slip and a no-collar head, they're both going to stretch but not slip. Shouldn't they sound the same? Maybe the film is different.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, you just reminded me that I have a couple of these I bought and forgot about. Now I just have to find them in my mess.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope, it's perfectly flat. Looks like a little frame drum.

The main application for the clear SS Ambassador is marching snare drums -- you used to have to double-hoop the standard (hazy) ambassadors, because they'd get pulled so low that the snare side hoop would bump into the bottom edge of the bottom lugs. The flat/collarless clears gave you longer before you'd "bottom out" the head.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope, it's perfectly flat. Looks like a little frame drum.

The main application for the clear SS Ambassador is marching snare drums -- you used to have to double-hoop the standard (hazy) ambassadors, because they'd get pulled so low that the snare side hoop would bump into the bottom edge of the bottom lugs. The flat/collarless clears gave you longer before you'd "bottom out" the head.
I tried a diplomat SS head once on my Teardrop snare. The hoop bottomed out before I got a decent snare response. Added another hoop on top and it bottomed out again. Pretty funny looking head with 2" deep profile. Have stayed with ambassadors or Aquarian SS heads (which stretch less than Remo) since.