Remo Silent Stroke Heads

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm looking into investing in a set of silent stroke heads and was wondering if putting them on both the top and bottom makes a difference. I looking for maximum sound reduction but keeping some sort of drumhead feel.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have mesh heads on my a-kit but do have them on my Roland e-kit. So....

I don't think you'll get much additional volume reduction with mesh bottoms, as not a lot of energy is going to be moving to that reso head.
I think it was Pearl that offered a practice kit with one side mesh/other side traditional mylar head so that you could quickly rotate the drum for "silent" practice or "normal" play (albeit "single" headed).

Mesh heads will have much more rebound/springy feel, so be ready for that.

73Rogers

Reaction score
Most people (myself included) look to get more sound out of mesh heads not less.
No need to to remove your regular reso heads.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I second that. They are too quiet already, IMO. I use painters tape under the head to block some holes to make it louder.

If Remo thought it would help they would be harping on it - bleeb dat!

chillybase

Reaction score
I found the Silent Strokes too quiet as well plus I only have one kit, so I didn't feel like swapping the heads back and forth. If you have a dedicated kit to use for quiet practice then they may work well. If you have only one kit then RTOMs might be something to look at but they are pricier.

Sounds Like a Drum posted a video about mesh heads with some tips to get the most out of them.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
If you have a dedicated kit to use for quiet practice then they may work well. If you have only one kit then RTOMs might be something to look at but they are pricier.
[Forums wouldn't let me edit that for hours. Grr.]

A dedicated kit or learn to like single headed toms and bass. You can flip em around pretty quickly. RTOM sounds nice but it's super expensive. (As in resembling the price of a whole student grade kit.)

Last edited:

Latest posts