Remo Silentstroke Heads

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Well, I decided to bit the bullet and "electronicafy" my Ludwig Epic X-Over Striped kit for church after months of clickity-clacking on the dinky pads that came with the Roland kit that I bought. I love using the e-kit in that application---it has been a godsend volume-wise and has allowed me to play with some force and not cause problems for the congregation and the rest of the band. But, the footprint of the snare and the toms has also been problematic. I'll admit that my aim can be less than stellar, and if I get through a service without clicking the sticks together as I aim for the tiny pads or hitting the plastic housing next to the head I'm a happy camper.
Cost has been holding me back, especially given the expense that can be incurred in mesh heads alone. The Hart and Ballistech heads look like they would be great, but they are expensive. The Pearl heads are relatively cheap but look that way, too.
Remo recently came out with the Silentstroke series (they've been making the heads for Roland all along) and they are very reasonably priced, no more than most acoustic drum heads. Cascio Interstate Music is a great source for them---I was able to outfit my four piece for right around 70 bucks. I ordered one initially for the snare to make sure that I would like them, and they do the trick in every way---quiet, and very playable as they tension like a standard drum head. I'm eager to order the triggers and get them up and running.

kpfeif

Reaction score
Hi. I kind of fell like I'm jumping in from nowhere here, but your post really interested me.

I just dragged out the DIY eDrum kit out of the boxes last week and started to get them assembled again. I took the time to fix the things (a few piezos were not working well, some wiring problems) and they're working very good now. When I built them I put one Roland head on the snare, then used some Pearl mesh heads on the toms. The Pearls are ok, but they seem to lose their tension quickly. The Roland is rock-solid.

Have you compared the Remo to the (Remo manufactured) Roland heads at all? Are they pretty close? I'm only 10 miles from Cascio Interstate's store, so perhaps I should check these out. Using white heads would also cover up the DIY work on the eDrums...the wiring looks a little nutty.

Luddite

Reaction score
Hey kp, they're not really that close, the Roland heads being twin ply and the Silentstrokes single ply. However, they seem to be pretty durable, and are definitely an improvement on the Pearl heads. Unless you use tree trunks for sticks, I think that you'll be ok. As far as the tuning goes, it might be an issue with the drums themselves---maybe you might want to consider getting some lug locks.

DeanSilliman

Reaction score
Luddite, I'm really interested to see what you think once you get the triggers and module up and running. I have a Roland 15KVS at home that is still within the return period and I am thinking instead of getting Silentstrokes for my Catalina bop kit and doing the rRland triggers and module. I just think it would be nice to have a full size e-kit. I have the Silentstroke for the snare just as practice and it seems nice.

Luddite

Reaction score
Dean---I would say go for it. I'd like to put in a recommendation for the Extreme Drum triggers---they're competitive price wise with the Roland triggers and mount on the inside. About the only thing that I had to do on my TD-4 Module was go through the kits that I use and turn the rim click function on for the snare drum. Other than that, it was a pretty seamless changeover.

New Tricks

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing mine and, I don't like the transparent look of the silentstrokes.