Remo vs Aquarian vs Evans vs Attack vs Others

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i use and love every brand of heads .... they all serve a purpose for me , in different ways
recently i received , attack t/b snare drum heads from , cardinal percussion .... i put them on my pre serial 5x14 cob supra
played a gig with them last weekend , and my snare sounded the best it's ever sounded , and it sounded great before ....

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
IMHO You could stretch anything from duct tape to a mylar balloon across a Rogers shell and it would sound primo!

I need to hear more about Attack. Not just the Bozzio heads, but the original line and 2 ply stuff as well, please.

I have a BD batter from Attack that I really like.

Tell me about the snare packs and tom heads guys. Please?
get ahold of , mark tirabassi , at cardinal percussion .... he's a member here , i just bought heads from him , he's a great guy to deal with ....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Remo Ambassadors top/bottom for all toms generally. If I want a little more tone, I go clear bottoms. I may use a coated Emp. top on a 13 or 14 FT if I need some extra thud. Usually coated Amb. bass reso side and either a coated Emperor, PS3 or sometimes an Aquarian Super Kick 1/2 on the batter side (for smaller 16-18 basses). Snares always coated. Amb but maybe coated Emp. if needed to tone down ring (ie: brass, copper).

But I just gigged last Friday using Evans G1's on the 12/16 and EQ3 on the bass (clear batter, black reso). Bass sounded good. Toms had okay tone. The 16 sounded boxy and the 12 a little muffled. I will go back to coated Ambs........

I don't do Attack or other brands. The Aquarian modern vintage are okay but on snares only.

Balance

Reaction score
Aquarians by a long way. First time I put on classic clears on my 10" and 14" toms I was amazed. I really should try different brands more often, I wish I knew about Aquarians a lot sooner as right now it's gonna take a while to save up to do my whole kit.

I just can't believe how a single ply clear can be so different, so much better. Why aren't Aquarians more famous? (On the other hand I haven't tried Attack or Code yet).

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play REMO because it is what I have used for 45 years. I just like the rebound I get from their heads. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try another brand. My Gretsch came with Evans, and I really don't like the foam ring they use to muffle! The PS3 just seems to work on all bass drums! Yes the coating seems to last on evans better, but at what cost to the sound? My buddy recently got a Bubinga elite, and we both did not like the rebound of the EC2's. I guess it is what you are used to.
Remo user forever. Tried Aquarian and never looked back. No more Remo!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Remo's because of the feel. I can get a decent sound with any brand, but its all about how it feels under the stick. Evans and Aquarian have a strange rubbery feeling to me. And even though the other 2 brands have supposedly "superior" coating, I think the brush sound on a Remo head is superior.
Depends what Aquarians you have tried. They have a ton of choices with different plies and feels.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I need to hear more about Attack. Not just the Bozzio heads, but the original line and 2 ply stuff as well, please.
Tell me about the snare packs and tom heads guys.
As bob noted, Attack were formerly distributed by Universal Percussion and were recently acquired by Cardinal Percussion who evidently plan to continue Attack's flagship drumheads and introduce even more.

The original standard Attack heads use a Japanese film called Dyna-Flex. They're quite durable, use no glue, they're crimped into the hoop. They're inexpensive & offer a surprisingly satisfactory tone. Outstanding as resonant heads.

The clear & coated Terry Bozzio Signature line use Dupont Mylar S-Film, same as an Ambassador except these are also crimped into the hoop and use no glue. Durability and tonality are both excellent, I've happily used them for many years along with the TB batter+reso snare packs.

~Tommy Wells' old postings offer further detailed insight on Attack Drumheads:
http://drumforum.org/search/166112/?q=Attack&o=date&c[user][0]=51

Zalloy

Reaction score
I play whatever my drumstore has in stock in my size. I usually use thinner 2ply head batter and single ply clears on the bottom.
I'm more picky about my reso head though. My 1st choice is evans G1 but again if they are out, I go remo. Evans seem to last a little longer for whatever reason...

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aquarians by a long way. First time I put on classic clears on my 10" and 14" toms I was amazed. I really should try different brands more often, I wish I knew about Aquarians a lot sooner as right now it's gonna take a while to save up to do my whole kit.

I just can't believe how a single ply clear can be so different, so much better. Why aren't Aquarians more famous? (On the other hand I haven't tried Attack or Code yet).
Those classic clears opened up my drums and I too was amazed. They are fantastic. I agree, Aquarian should sell more than they do. But as I previously posted, I think Remo has all the fame and years on the market. A lot of people stick to what they know. I'm not like that. I like to try out other brands to see if they work. Attack would be something I would be open to trying in the future. This whole concept of Remo and Evans are the best is simply not true. It's the best for the person who has not experimented. I hear people write that they tried Aquarian and did not like it. It makes me wonder what heads they bought. They have a ton of options for everyone's different tastes. You can't just try one and say you didn't like it. They even publish on their website a comparison chart that matches the heads to the Remo & Evans that you usually buy: https://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead-guide-comparison-chart/

Last edited:

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've tried them all.
I love the Aquarian products -- they do have a bit more quality in them -- I still use the SK10 bass batters and the snare batters.
But for my old Gretsch oversized toms, Aquarian does not fit well (and yes, I've tried the "Vintage" heads).
The best batter heads for my old toms will always be Remo Emps -- both the clear and the coated are great.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I've tried them all.
I love the Aquarian products -- they do have a bit more quality in them -- I still use the SK10 bass batters and the snare batters.
But for my old Gretsch oversized toms, Aquarian does not fit well (and yes, I've tried the "Vintage" heads).
The best batter heads for my old toms will always be Remo Emps -- both the clear and the coated are great.
For those who may be unfamiliar, Aquarian offers two lines of heads with the term "Vintage" in the name. The American Vintage are the ones that are slightly over-sized while the Modern Vintage are the standard diameter with a vintage-style head material.

rummy

Reaction score
Used Remo for years. Superkick I got me switching, and now I'm all Aquarian.

Latest posts