Remo vs. Ludwig Weather Master

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've heard that "Medium" Weather Master heads are about the same weight as a Remo diplomat, and the "Heavy" Weather Masters are similar to Ambassadors. Do they play as similarly as their weights suggest?

I've always used a Weather Master "medium" on my Supraphonic. I love the feel and sound. Yet, I found that the same heads were too open on my Classic Maple toms. Though, with a smidge of muffling, I loved the bright open sound of the mediums on my 9x13 tom.

I mostly curious, I guess. I have a feeling I'm gonna try Vintage A's next time around.

Thanks!
-Ryan

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig's medium weight heads have a thicker coating than Remo's Ambassador weight. They'll sound a bit less open on your toms.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Weather coated Master Heavy heads that I bought more than five years ago. Compared to a coated Ambassador, they feel/sound way thicker even though the film is the same thickness--10 mil. I guess the coating is a lot thicker. The heavies sound much more controlled (deader) and have less attack sound. I just use them on snares occasionally.

I've found that coated Mediums sound a little brighter, livelier than coated Ambassadors on snare drums. I've never tried one on a tom.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i have medium ludwig heads on a couple of snares right now. the keystone supra sounds perfect with one. i also have one on a 6.5 wood wfl snare. it is a tad too thick on that one for my liking. i have never tried them on toms but would like to.

mike

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Thanks, gang. Most appreciated!

I guess I'm basically trying to mentally cross reference the heads I've had experience with.

In terms of coated heads, would it be kinda accurate to say that the "Medium" Weather Masters are in between a Diplomat and Ambassador, and a "Heavy" Weather Master is between an Ambassador and an Emperor?

In terms of smooth heads, would a Heavy Weather Master be about the same weight as a smooth Ambassador? I guess they're both 10 mil.

Thanks for bearing with me! :)

-Ryan

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
For some oddball reason, Ludwig's nomenclature differs from the industry standard. Their "heavy" is 10mil, everyone else's medium. Their "medium" is 7.5mil, everyone else's thin. Their X-thin snare head is the same as everyone else's thin (3mil). Why is this? I don't know! :blink:

Latest posts