Remo's Best Sounding and Durable Heads

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Another 64k question. I have not been using Remo heads for a long time because their coating didn't seem to be very durable. They also have their own unique kind of ring that I found annoying...so, I quit using them. But, I've seen a lot of discussion about their newer heads, like the Renaissance and so forth.

I'd like some input from you all if you are using Remo heads. I play with a band that does a lot of ballads, country and classic rock. I do use brushes frequently on ballads, so I need a decent coating on the batter head. And I like a "warmer" tone as well.

Thanks for your help. :hello2:

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Highly recommend either Renaissance or Suede. I use the Emperor version of both models in two different bands and have been pleased with both. The finish on both models is textured into the Mylar film, so there is no coating to wear off.

Right now I have White Suede Emperors on my main gigging set. The two plies are 7.5 mil instead of 7 mil so a little extra durability is added. I'm getting a very warm sound from these heads.

Worth giving them a shot, in my opinion.

Asher

Reaction score
Why Remo? The coating on Aquarian heads is practically indestructible. It takes a couple hours for me to start wearing through the coating on an Ambassador. On an Aquarian Texture Coated . . . well, I'll let you know when that finally happens.

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
i just picked up some Coated Vintage Emperors that were recommended to me highly..haven't tried them but heard they were great.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Asher said:
Why Remo? The coating on Aquarian heads is practically indestructible. It takes a couple hours for me to start wearing through the coating on an Ambassador. On an Aquarian Texture Coated . . . well, I'll let you know when that finally happens.
I'm guessing this is for the OP, but here's my answer to your question.

For me, there is a significant difference in feel between Remo's mylar and Aquarian's mylar. Hard to describe, but Remo heads just feel "right" to me. I also do hear a difference in sound between the two, but not nearly as much as the difference in feel. And obviously there's no question as to which coating is superior. Aquarian coating lasts a million times longer.

My all-time favorite sounding head is the basic Remo coated Ambassador, but I can't make the coating last even 10 minutes before it starts chipping off. My solution was to experiment with some of the other Remo models that circumvent the coating issue. I also have to use 2 ply heads due to durability issues related to my playing style and choice of stick (2B).

It's a bit of a compromise, but in the Renaissance and Suede heads I've found the best solution possible for me. BTW, I played Aquarian heads for a few years and was happy with their product. No issues whatsoever. It's just that I prefer the feel of Remo heads under stick and that difference in feel was significant enough for me to switch back to Remo.

Cheers,
Ryan

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
I've been meaning to give those suede heads a try...I going to have to give it a shot. Maybe I'll but the black suede on the black panthers

Asher

Reaction score
rculberson said:

For me, there is a significant difference in feel between Remo's mylar and Aquarian's mylar. Hard to describe, but Remo heads just feel "right" to me. I also do hear a difference in sound between the two, but not nearly as much as the difference in feel. And obviously there's no question as to which coating is superior. Aquarian coating lasts a million times longer.
Yeah, I can appreciate that. I could probably deal with the coating issue if I preferred the sound or feel or Remos, but the OP didn't like the sound either ("unique kind of ring that I found annoying"). So to the OP: what's driving you back to Remo?

H

hindadoon

It depends on the drums, edges, and music you're playing. Usually coated Emperors sound good, and until recently were durable ....pinstripes hold up well too. I use pinstripes on my Rogers toms live and they sound great. In the studio its always a coated batter on all drums. Usually Emps up top and a clear Ambassadors reso, but again, that depends on the music I'm recording.

I've been a Remo guy for all of my 25+ year career. I've tried other heads but always return to Remo. However on the last two tours that I've done , I'm going through coated Emperors on my snare like crazy. One show and the coating is completely gone from the center of my snare ....AND the coating is getting worn off near the rim of my snare from the two songs that I play a cross stick on. Its crazy. I've never seen this before. I have to have my snare heads changed every other show. I think it might be time to explore other options.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
hindadoon,

Check out a Suede or a White Suede Emperor and see what you think. There is no coating to wear off and the durability is great. The texture of the head is smoother than a coated Emperor which makes brush strokes sound a bit more subdued, but is still a nice sound.

Cheers,
Ryan

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with hindadoon.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that certain drums "like" certain brands of heads. I'm not crazy, I swear!!

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weird. My ambassadors havent lost coating since i got them... Maybe November. Knock on wood.

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
Asher said:

Yeah, I can appreciate that. I could probably deal with the coating issue if I preferred the sound or feel or Remos, but the OP didn't like the sound either ("unique kind of ring that I found annoying"). So to the OP: what's driving you back to Remo?

Well, I have tried various Evans heads on this particular drum and the Aquarian satin wouldn't fit without some serious rubbing on the shell. I am of the belief that any given drum can sound better with a given drum head. Sort of like a rifle that "digests" a particular ammo better than another. Not a perfect analogy, but I've found it to be true. I like to gain the knowledge from other people's experience and save some time and money for myself. And I appreciate your input. I just have an idea that Remo may have something that will work better for me than the Evans heads.

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
djphonics said:
I agree with hindadoon.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that certain drums "like" certain brands of heads. I'm not crazy, I swear!!
I've been playing for over 50 years and I have found that you are absolutely correct. You can outfit two "identical" snare drums, same model, size and setup and still have different sounding drums and performance. I know that we all experience the same thing when we install different brands and sizes of snare wires on a drum. What I'm looking for is some "meat" and projection from my Pearl snare out in the room or dance floor where people are listening. I've found that my snare can sound terrific from my vantage point, but if I go out on the dance floor and have a compadre hit the drum (and I realize that playing technique makes a difference) and try different drum strokes and different dynamics the snare drum sounds "thin". It shouldn't sound that way and I just need to find the right combination for the drum. Maybe I'm being too Buddy Rich on this...he was rarely satisfied with a snare sound. :laughing6: Taking advantage of someone else's experience is what I like to do. And hopefully I'm not being crazy :laughing5:

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a side note, I know they are not Remo's but I've found the Evans G-Plus are really durable.

I find them too thick though.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only coated heads I use are on my snare drums. All have Remo Ambassadors except for my DynaSonic which has a Diplomat. I can't say I've had the coating issues that have been discussed here.