RemO's Tone Control Rings - who uses them?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
Quieting the snare while playing at the same relative intensity was the original question, no?

While these are a kind of extreme O-ring, they work to deaden and quiet the snare. They also lower the pitch a little, but if you know you want a quieter snare for the whole set, just tune up to the pitch you want.

The donut version keeps most of the crack sound.

https://bigfatsnaredrum.com/collections/big-fat-snare-drum/products/big-fat-snare-drum-steves-donut-13

Bonus (or not... ): they can have tambourine jangles on them if wanted.
BFSD is a great product. So much more than a bigger Remo ring though. And you don't have to worry about them getting creased like the rings. They change the sound of the drum in an instant. Great for cover band drummers who like to recreate different snare sounds song to song.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Aquarian studio rings. I close mic live gigs and these give me a fat focused and tight sound consistent every time no matter what the room, it's plug and play.

The difference with this type of dampening vs gel or tape is these actually lift off the head ever so slightly upon impact
giving the head a momentary open sound if that makes sense.

Drumceet

Reaction score
I use the Evans equivalent rings. It’s not that I don’t like the open sound of my toms, but I also enjoy the fat, low focused tone of my 14” and 16” floor toms when using them. Actually I use a 14” ring on my 16” floor tom, love how it sounds.

I never use any muffling on my 10” and 12” toms, and as for the snare it really depends on my mood. Some days I love the open sound, others I like the muffle ring on it. Both ways sound great in my opinion.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I've been using something I found on Ebay called Florings. They work really well. They are thinner than the Remo or Evans rings and they are lightly flocked where they sit on the heads. They make them up to 18" for floortoms, my 16 and 18 sound great!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using something I found on Ebay called Florings. They work really well. They are thinner than the Remo or Evans rings and they are lightly flocked where they sit on the heads. They make them up to 18" for floortoms, my 16 and 18 sound great!
Interesting but the add on Ebay said no longer available. bummer.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use rings and I'm not ashamed to say it. They can help make a poorly tuned or mismatched set of heads serviceable very easily.

Renoroger

Reaction score
I have begun to use them again after returning to close-micing the snare drum.I am in in-ears also; it seems that the part that the ring leaves is what I want in the PA.
(which I also run...)

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
I never felt I needed to take that much of the natural sound out...except on the snare on a really wet recording. I still use masking tape and napkins or some tape loops along near the edge. I want the drum to sound out. If you're ever in that set of circumstances roll out some 650 to 800. That'll calm the ring and some tone. I'd say 6 to 9 db. That'll punch a hole in it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, I have used them for years. In a recording situation I often will opt for other options (as the mic could pck up any flutter or rattle from them) but live... I'm all in!

I tried all the gels and dots but they just never found a home with me for one reason or another. So it was back to the rings when needing that very controlled studio sound On some of the kits I have gone to the snare weight rim mounted dampeners, but I like having the rings as well... I take them on and off all the time depending on the song.

greegor

Reaction score
Now that I'm home and practicing more, I really needed to dampen/cut sound. I got a roll of spongy shelf liner and cut my own donuts out. Yeah, kills the sound, but that's the point and keeps the wife and neighbors outta my face.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I don't care for zero-rings on toms at all - but I do sometimes use them on snares, you can see various size snare rings hanging from my left crash stand in the photo.
My most often used method for snares is a ring cut into sections as shown below.
It simply lays there on it's own and never flies off the drumhead. Doesn't over-dampen.

GretschRenownDrumset.JPG

Last edited: