Remote hi hat experiences?

stevil

Reaction score
I would LOVE to move my hi hats about 6-7 inches to my right. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with offset or remote stands?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The latest model from Tama is by far the best remote hihat I’ve tried so far. No lag.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Trick Predator 6 foot cable hat. It's great for what it is but I don't see them available anymore except for the replacement cables. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one if you see one though.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some experience with a Yamaha Remote Hi Hat from back during my little stint of trying to play double bass.

My slave pedal pushed my hats just far enough to my left to aggravate me so I wanted exactly that; the ability to move the top section of my hats over to the right that 6”.

The problem you will encounter, at least with the Yamaha is that it is not possible to just put a little jag in the cable to accomplish this because the two parts of the remote hats are too long, there is no space for the jag. You will be forced to put a 360 loop in the cable and that is going to give you so much resistance and lag that the hats are unplayable.

I actually replaced the Yamaha cable with a high end mountain bike derailleur cable to increase flexibility and see if I could eliminate that drag, which it did, but simply no enough.

I just took the whole set up out the other day, disassembled it and am replacing the spring in the foot section top tube with a strong one. I’ll see how that works.

The hats close easy enough it is the return to open that needs to be solved.

Jorn

Reaction score
I had a Gibraltar offset hihat stand first. It uses a short cable. The friction In the cable was totally unacceptable and I deemed it a boat anchor. Now I sometimes use a DW remote hat. This one works well and feels very smooth.

stevil

Reaction score
The idea of a cable is off-putting, especially considering I only need to offset the cymbals less than a foot. I'm considering the DW 9000 universal hi hat with linkage. But $450 is pretty spendy for something that might just be a gimmick.

FWIW, I'm left-handed playing open on a right handed kit. I had a great lesson recently with Dave Elitch, which has led me down this rabbit hole thinking about ergonomics. But I probably won't even need the adjustment if I improve my grip. This all GAS vs. practice...

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my home made take on it:

44FE4EA2-49D4-4506-B58C-78E355A5557C.jpeg
F475680D-E2B2-41E4-A6D8-9AD456132E79.jpeg

I've made at least two other prototypes of a short direct cable hi-hat. They all are intended to "snuggle" up to the left side of my bass drum; easy to play without crossover. The action is pretty good; not as quick as a direct-pull, but acceptable. I question the durability of the thin aircraft cable if a really heavy foot came down on it. I used this setup for a couple of years, even recorded with it once with a prog-rock group fond of really fast tempos where eighths on the hi-hat were the dominant thrust.

One thing that a center-mounted hat will force you to do - move your rack tom over to the LEFT of the hat (for a rightie, that is). I did this with a 12x8" on a snare stand. You could also substitute a smaller floor tom ....... I found that this opened me up to starting fills with the left hand, often on an upbeat; a good thing, really ........ You will need to tether the pedal to the seat tripod, or stick it down with velcro.

Mike

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Me too - I've been sort of looking for a 'double pedal' type remote hat - ie a rigid linkage instead of using a rusty lawn mower throttle cable. (Hyperbole - but not a fan of cable models. That one at least has it as short and direct as possible.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
I used a Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust hi-hat stand several years ago because I wanted to try moving the hats further to the right while leaving the pedal where I was used to. It didn't work out for me because I realized that putting the hats there caused my right forearm to get in the way of my left stick on the up-stroke.

1574859367752.png

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got an Ultra-Adjust HH stand too. Positioning wise, it's hard to beat this unit in the area of ergo-friendliness, unless you go full out cable/remote.
I got it to use on my e-kit and learn open-handed playing. I haven't really used it as I started renting a rehearsal room and set an a-kit up that uses double bass and I didn't get the legless version - Doh!

I wish Trick, Pearl, Tama or DW would make a version of this with a standard "rod" driver, which is then connected to cable... I'd buy both legged and legless versions.

sammy123

Reaction score
I would stay away from the older Pearl models in case you are buying used. The action is not great and positioing and mounting is difficult because of the size of the mechanism on the cymbal end. It's usable, but compared to my standard Yamaha hat it sucks big time in the feel department. It looks like the newer ones are improved.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a new DW cable driven hihat with the 6' cable a few years back. Very nice. I have it's pedal next to my right bass drum pedal (and the normal DW hihat next to my left bass drum pedal). I like double bass and occasionally double hihat. :)
They are a little pricey but worth it.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Have a DW cable remote - rarely use it - too much lag compared to a normal stand.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have a DW cable remote - rarely use it - too much lag compared to a normal stand.
Is this a newer remote HH?
I've got an older (mid-80's) TAMA cable, and I thought it was a bit mushy compared to the direct-drive rod of my traditional HH stands.
Just curious if there's been an improvements in feel over the years.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got an older (mid-80's) TAMA cable, and I thought it was a bit mushy compared to the direct-drive rod of my traditional HH stands.
I had an 80’s Tama as well. Mushy is a good description. The current model is way better. I don’t have one as I really don’t need it but after I tried one at the Tama factory I was a bit blown away by the action. It felt really great.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an 80’s Tama as well. Mushy is a good description. The current model is way better. I don’t have one as I really don’t need it but after I tried one at the Tama factory I was a bit blown away by the action. It felt really great.
halldorl, thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the latest model.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've found that using an X-hat over on my right side covers almost all the bases ..... no chick, or any other foot-operated effect, but a variable degree of slosh from a tight tic to a loose splash. I made my own X-hat with a strong spring between the cymbals and a large wing screw on top .... very quick and easy to adjust on the fly.

Mike

Pibroch

Reaction score
Sorry, can't find the model number. The cable is 90" long (7 1/2 feet). Probably bought it new around 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop