Removing Falam patch from bass drum head

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
or whatever it's called - kick drum patch? Anyone removed one and if so, what method did you use to get all the glue gunk off. I'm thinking a heat gun then some goo gone might work
I realize now they ruin the sound and feel of the bass drum batter head, so I'm not using them anymore

Tom

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it is a clear head just peel the patch off and use rubbing alcohol to clean off the rest of the residue. I did this on a clear EMAD head recently.

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Your head is ruined like you said, buy a $35 head instead of heating up plastic, cause if you think the Falam Slam sounded horrid just wait until you really screw it up with a heat gun or chemical!

harry

Reaction score
Had a double patch on a coated head so tried to take it off a few days ago..took the coating right off, so I just took half of it off. I would not put a heat gun to it but a hair dryer should give enough heat (low heat) to take it off then clean it up with alcohol. I'm going to try it on the remaining piece of patch. I plan on getting a new head anyway....

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
it depends on what kind of patch you have and if its a clear or coated head.

generally on clear or ebony heads you can peel them off. some take more effort than others. if its a coated head it might peel the coating off as someone noted above.

for clear and ebony heads you can use goo gone, acetone or nail polish remover to take off what's left. or thee ol'..."use tape to take off tape residue" trick. in this case you will need strong tape like gorilla tape or duct tape to take off what's left on the head.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think a hair dryer on the low heat setting and shooting it from the inside (ie: "directly" on the glue) and that should work........rubbing alcohol or my persona fave, Goo Gone, should easily remove any glue off a clear head (coated may be an issue but should still work well). I don't like nail polish remover......

I have also taken the large black "dot" off both clear heads (from on top) and on X-type heads (from the bottom) by just peeling it off by hand without any heat. Just get a razor blade and pull up an edge carefully and just pull gently while circling around and it will come off.......if you do it right, you can even put the dot on another head!

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I stopped using them a few years ago for exactly the same reason tomb - they degrade tone and feel. I always thought they were a necessity...but they aren't, at least with the PS3 I use.

Good tips on gunk removal...I'll give it a try on a basically new head I have laying around with gunk left on there after peeling off the patch.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to give the hair dryer and goo gone a try and see what happens.
Worst case, I mess it up and have to spring for a new head

Geo - you're right, they had me believing i needed that thing. It was a revelation for me with that little thing gone - There's the tone I've been missing all these years!

Latest posts