Removing Granite Paint From Ludwigs

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Hello. I like to restore 60’s, 70s and early 80s Ludwig Drum’s. I have a few drums with the awful granite paint on the inside and I am considering removing it. Has anyone here done this successfully? If yes, how?

I have stripped and refinished furniture for years and I am very familiar with that process. I am just curious if any has attacked the granite Ludwig paint.

Thank you!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buy another drum... (kidding..wonder what's under that granitone surface

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Buy another drum... (kidding..wonder what's under that granitone surface
It’s clear maple. I believe Ludwig did it as it was cheaper than the clear finish that they used prior and after the 60s white painted interiors.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It’s clear maple. I believe Ludwig did it as it was cheaper than the clear finish that they used prior and after the 60s white painted interiors.
Looks thin... (and dry...(the Granitone wonder if you could 'heat' it off with hair dryer (blowin' and slight (credit card/plastic scraper) scraping; whole sections may lift/ fall off...wouldn't that be lucky need to weaken it but remaining dry..

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Granitone is rock hard...really.
I tried sanding on my ‘73 set about 20 yrs ago. Did it by hand to avoid any potential damage from products or electric sanders. Basically gave up after several hours on the 13”.
It was much smoother but far from removed. I painted the inside of the bass black in the day so now a I have a fantastic sounding vintage set that I couldn’t give away due to mods. I likely would have sold it by now.

Phil

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old fashioned paint remover. They have stopped selling the old MEK stuff to the public so you would have to try something like citrustrip or one of the other alternative paint strippers. I haven't tried them so I can't say how well they work but the old MEK stuff would get it off with several applications.

Latest posts