Removing head logos smooth white vs coated white

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As mentioned picked up a glorious set of 22/13/16 Slingerlands. Have to ditch the ebony logo head TOUT DE SUITE. Getting a Slingerland decal from Bentley's. Trying to decide between Evans UV EQ4 (coated) vs Aquarian Force II (smooth). I know the decal will go much easier on the smooth, but does acetone/nail polish remover do less/more damage to either type as far as anyone knows (for those like me who prefer not having the giant logos they put on these days)

IMG_20191206_090915.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On a smooth head your good to go, I even use lacquer thinner to remove mine. However I dont know of a way to get an ink logo off of a coated head at all. I am always reading threads hopping someone will share that trick as well.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Smooth heads are easy, acetone removes the logos but doesn't effect the mylar. Coated heads are a different animal. The coating is just a textured white paint. Acetone will remove that paint right along with the logo. I have heard there are other solvents you can use that remove the logo but not the coating. I do not know for sure what that solvent is (I have heard from one source that it is rubber cement thinner but don't have any first hand knowledge of that). Perhaps someone who does know will pipe up.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have used acetone to remove the Remo logo off of both Fiberskyn and coated Ambassadors.

The trick is to blot with a very saturated rag, wait for a few seconds and blot again. Don't wipe, or you'll remove the coating, as people have said. There will be a very faint grayish silhouette left behind, very difficult to see. The good news is, if you're putting a manufacturer's logo on, it'll cover it up.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe vintagelogos.com still does drum co logo screen (or decal) on head of your choice evans,aquarian,remo smooth or textured without the head brand logo

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've removed logos off of coated heads using Goof Off (Goo Gone is the same idea). I had to go over that area a few times, using the Goof Off rather liberally, but it worked. As others have stated, smooth white is much easier. That UV process on the Evans might be a variable.

Also, whats the info on this Bentley's, for a Slingerland logo? I might need one.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've removed logos off of coated heads using Goof Off (Goo Gone is the same idea). I had to go over that area a few times, using the Goof Off rather liberally, but it worked. As others have stated, smooth white is much easier. That UV process on the Evans might be a variable.

Also, whats the info on this Bentley's, for a Slingerland logo? I might need one.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gave up trying to remove the ink from an Evans Calftone.
Yeah, I don't know what they use but it is quite tenacious. I tried to get their big logo off a calftone bass drum head and had to resort to a bit of sanding and even some touch up with light tan acrylic paint. Fiberskyn is tricky but acetone will get rid of most of it, but I don't think I'll try removing a calftone logo again. To top it all off the head didn't fit my RB 20" bass drum anyway, despite being the new design collar, so it was all a waste of time. Had to get an aquarian AV head. Still waiting for Remo classic sized bass drum heads in fiberskyn but haven't seen anyone with them in stock, although I haven't checked lately.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted this before, so excuse the re-post, but I struggled trying to remove a giant Remo logo from a smooth white bass drum head and was finally able to remove it with Goof Off. I applied it to a paper towel and used some good old fashion elbow grease. At first it seemed like it wasn't working, then it just started coming off.

Here are before, during and after pics.

Remo logo.jpeg
Remo Ludwig.jpeg
Ludwig.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My, that Remo logo is obnoxiously big. I haven't encountered one like that yet. That's big enough to make me reconsider whether I'd even want to buy that head or not (probably not).

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My, that Remo logo is obnoxiously big. I haven't encountered one like that yet. That's big enough to make me reconsider whether I'd even want to buy that head or not (probably not).
It is. But full disclosure: Remo provides them to artists for promotional use, ie the Grammy Awards and other high profile TV shows and events. They’re regular mass market heads don’t have logos that big... yet!

But seriously, I’m fortunate to have friends at Remo and certainly not complaining. I was surprised when I received it and if it wasn’t intended to be a reso head, I would’ve left it as is. But as you can see it’s a Ludwig logo head and I used another for my Rogers kit. Goof Off did the trick.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A white glossy single ply remo bass resonant will be more in keeping with what came on Slingerland kits from the factory. Ask the Mrs. or your mistress for her nail polish remover and a cotton ball. That logo will be like it was never there in less than a second.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A white glossy single ply remo bass resonant will be more in keeping with what came on Slingerland kits from the factory. Ask the Mrs. or your mistress for her nail polish remover and a cotton ball. That logo will be like it was never there in less than a second.
That’s what I thought too, but it wouldn’t budge with nail polish remover. It took some time and fair amount of elbow grease to get it off using Goof Off. I think Remo is using a different ink, at least for these heads that are used for TV. We put bigger logos on “dead cymbals” ie the ones used for videos and TV.

Last edited:

drumfx

Reaction score
As mentioned picked up a glorious set of 22/13/16 Slingerlands. Have to ditch the ebony logo head TOUT DE SUITE. Getting a Slingerland decal from Bentley's. Trying to decide between Evans UV EQ4 (coated) vs Aquarian Force II (smooth). I know the decal will go much easier on the smooth, but does acetone/nail polish remover do less/more damage to either type as far as anyone knows (for those like me who prefer not having the giant logos they put on these days)

View attachment 419117

drumfx

Reaction score
What i do a lot of times if the head sounds good and is worth keeping, i slap on a coat of white latex paint right on it, then re-apply the new desired logo.

Latest posts