Removing hex axle from Yamaha pedal?

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to do this?

It looks like its just press-fit, with maybe pins holding it in...

I have an older (Made In Indonesia) 7000 series pedal, but the beater holder is cracked, so won't tighten down on the beater shaft.

The hex shaft looks to be the same size as DW, so I was thinking I could use the beater clamp assembly from an old DW that has other problems...

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's usually a pretty simple operation to remove the hex shaft, but without pictures of your pedal, I can't give you accurate instructions. Different pedals used different ways to lock the hex shaft in to the uprights. If you post some pictures of your pedal, I will tell you what you need to do to fix it. The DW beater holder you have should fit on the Yamaha pedal with no problems.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done it several times myself. If we are talking the same pedal there are two very small allen key set screws at each bearing that hold in a set ring. You really just need to remove one bearing to get the axel to come out but if you want to remove both...Loosen those set screws then give the side of the axel a smart whack on a piece of 2X. This should dislodge the set rings exposing the bearings on each side. What I do here is soak each side in 3 in 1 for a bit then give each bearing a few smart walks with a small (3/16th) hardwood dowel from the inside at 12, 3, 6, and 9 until the bearing pops right out. Make sure that you direct the backs on the roller part of the bearing not the casing which will bend. To reseat the bearing use a socket that allows the axel to pass through but sit in the roller part of the bearing and give it a few smart whacks to reseat it. I have done this a good dozen times rebuilding Yamaha FP 850s with great results.

Latest posts