removing nonflammable contact cement

egw

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to get the nonflammable contact cement off of the shell of a drum I built about 20 years ago. I was able to get the wrap off fairly easily, and now the dried contact cement is all that remains.

As far as I can tell, it's just plain old latex. It feels and smells just like a balloon (or a rubber). I can peel it off bit by bit rubbing it with my thumb, but it's taking forever. I can remove about a half inch or so of the stuff with an hour's work. Plus, my finger can't take much more than an hour at a time. For what it's worth, while slow-going, it comes of very cleanly and doesn't leave any residue as far as I can tell.

So far, I've tried heating it with a hair dryer, using solvent, and using an eraser instead of my thumb. Nothing I've tried seems to speed the process up at all.

Anybody have any ideas of an easier way to get this done? I couldn't possibly be the first guy on earth who's ever had to do this. Thanks in advance.

egw

Reaction score
Sorry, this somehow went into the wrong section. I'm going to repost in the correct one. Can this thread be deleted?

Latest posts