Removing Paint from a cymbal (not the logo...PAINT!)

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won this 17" Remix ride off Ebay...excited to check it out and for the challange of removing the paint that a previous owner added to kill the sustain (I guess tape was in short supply).
I have some citrus stripper...I'd probably try a little in case it effects the metal.
Thoughts?
Remix w paint.jpg

philmets

Reaction score
Brasso and fine grade 0000 steel wool, will look like new!

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's interesting. Never seen that before. Citrus stripper sounds like a step 2 for me. Maybe try something more mild?? Maybe goo gone or mineral spirits? Honestly, I know citrus stripper is supposed to be less harsh than most strippers, but it still sounds like something that may damage the cymbal???

philmets

Reaction score
Wow. That's interesting. Never seen that before. Citrus stripper sounds like a step 2 for me. Maybe try something more mild?? Maybe goo gone or mineral spirits? Honestly, I know citrus stripper is supposed to be less harsh than most strippers, but it still sounds like something that may damage the cymbal???
I did a 20 china boy low recently, heavily stained and ugly patina, looks close to new now. If the paint is hard to get off, I would use a heat gun on a low setting, combined with some plastic scraper action.

Last edited:

wraub

Reaction score
I cleaned paint off a cheap cymbal a while back... it looked like this:

and cleaned up to this:

I used nail polish remover and the sponge side (not abrasive side) of a ScotchBrite pad.

Worth a try.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened here. I have a few of those soultone old school patina vintage cymbals with that fake green stuff on them. It is pretty obnoxious looking although it does a nice job of drying out the cymbals.

I used citristrip on them for about 10 minutes. On one, it also took off the logos. On the other, it oddly did not. However I just wiped them off with a towel and hot water. It will not damage the symbol nor brighten the symbol. That's my suggestion.

You could try paint thinner too if you'd like on a soft microfiber rag or an old t-shirt. You can also try rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, or vinegar also. However they may take off the logos.

I get a dab of citristrip, let it sit for a few minutes on a coin-sized area, then wipe it off. You'll know fairly quickly. Maybe try the bottom so it's not visible.

Reactions: dtk

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
Easy Off oven cleaner?
I hear it will remove spray paint from automotive finishes, so it might do the trick.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who the heck would DO that to a cymbal anyway?

I'd try Acetone; then give it a thorough soap & water wash-rinse-repeat after that ................

Mike

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Use the Citrus Strip or Kwik Strip, no worries. I know for a fact Kwik Strip WILL take the logos if that's a concern. Paiste ColorSounds take two or three applications of the Kwik Strip, they have a wicked stubborn finish to remove.
EasyOff oven cleaner may be an option, I have stripped paint from auto parts with this. Both the brush on and the spray on types.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The one thing you also may want to do is send some educational literate to the person that painted the cymbal to advise them to return to school. Doesn't sound like they went past the 4th grade.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you know somebody with a high pressure washer or can rent one,it would be worth a try as no chemicals are used in the cleaning.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Curious, how does it sound in its painted state? Or rather, does it sound like someone threw a towel over it?

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it arrived today. It didn't sound like someone thru a towel over it...it sounded sort of normal.
i tried Goo Gone...and it removed a little paint with a lot of effort...then I tried a little Citrus Stripper...took the paint right off...no issues to the metal so I did the whole cymbal. At first it didn't seem to have effected the Zildjian logo but when I went to rinse it off using a soft sponge to remove the last of the paint...the logo went....all and all very easy to remove...This weekend I'll play it a little and decide if I keep it.

thanks all-

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d say acetone for sure. It removes even the thickest ink stamps so I’m sure it would rid the paint no problem.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
finish the job; paint the whole thing;

Paint Thinner- the good stuff soak a rag over the area'