Removing Remo Logo From Colortone Bass Drum Head?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone ever try to remove the Remo logo at the bottom of a colortone bass drum head (or off any colortone heads)?

While I'm confident that a swipe of acetone would remove the logo my concern is that it might also remove the colored tint in that area. That would pretty much ruin the head as far as the whole point of having such a head.

I guess I'm wondering whether the coloring is an integral part of the mylar they use or something like a coating or dye they add during the production which possibly can be obliterated if hit with the right (wrong) chemicals?

The logo is not that objectionable and I'd be okay with leaving it be rather than risk messing up the head...but, if I knew I could safely remove it I'd prefer to do so?

Any insights?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
can you try a lil acetone near the color where it won't be seen if it did remove the color?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
can you try a lil acetone near the color where it won't be seen if it did remove the color?
That's an option.

I was hoping maybe someone else has already done this experiment ;)

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I would think the color is on the underside to prevent it from transferring on to stick tips.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would think the color is on the underside to prevent it from transferring on to stick tips.
Good point.
It arrives tomorrow so I guess I'll find out one way or another.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
The colortones are all emperor (2 ply) heads. I would think the color would be in between the plies.
All the descriptions say it is "within the film" using their skyndeep technology. whatever that means....

Let us know what you find out.

curious minds want to know.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That or the color is indeed added in the head material before molded?

Reaction score
The Emperor Colortone is said to be made of two clear plies, so it would seem the colour is added using Remo's Skyndeep process.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The colortones are all emperor (2 ply) heads. I would think the color would be in between the plies.
All the descriptions say it is "within the film" using their skyndeep technology. whatever that means....

Let us know what you find out.

curious minds want to know.
This would be my educated guess! I have a vintage Slingerland marching drum, with a Remo Sparkltone Parade batter (2-ply). The small flecks are clearly adhered to the inner ply, so I would suspect that the tint of the Colortone heads would also be on the inner ply. However, if it is, indeed, within the film, I would think it would not be removed with a small swipe of an acetone wipe. Hope we can find out for sure!

-Mark

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the guinnea pig on this....LOL.

Who knows if acetone will even remove the logo. It usually does but sometimes it seems like they may have switched to a more imperveous ink that it can't obliterate.

My luck, the tint will come off but the logo will stay ;)

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi K.O.!

Yes, it looks like you'll have to be the guinea pig with this! And, we all thank you for it! We'll keep our fingers crossed that the tint will not come off...only the logo! Looking forward to the pictures!

-Mark

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a colortone single ply (powerstroke 77) so its definitely not between the plys. If you’re worried about ruining the look of a $40 brand new bass drum head I’m down to try removing the logo when I get home from work tonight. I’m not that worried about the looks of a snare head. I’ll report back later

edit. Just looked it up. It is a two ply head afterall, but pretty sure the film itself is tinted. I’ll let you know

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a colortone single ply (powerstroke 77) so its definitely not between the plys. If you’re worried about ruining the look of a $40 brand new bass drum head I’m down to try removing the logo when I get home from work tonight. I’m not that worried about the looks of a snare head. I’ll report back later

edit. Just looked it up. It is a two ply head afterall, but pretty sure the film itself is tinted. I’ll let you know
Cool, thanks!

I vagually recall, in one of the numerous videos I've watched about how drum heads are made, they mentioned running the polyester through a dye vat to color it. That is the cause for my concern because if so then the color is on the outside of the plastic and might be removable. That was years ago though so it might not apply to the colortones.

I guess we'll find out one way or the other.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
The logo itself seems to be printed on the top of inner ply, sandwiching the ink between the two. I gave up.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just unpacked my new 22" colortone head and, yup, the logo is on the inside.

Crafty Sons of Beaches!

I might have to figure out a sticker to put over it....it's just the principle of the thing.

It's a ported head though so I can't really rotate it too much to put my usual monogram over it . Hmmmm?

What's next? Is Sabian going to start laser engraving their stupid new "90's hair band" logo on the underside of their cymbals?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's next? Is Sabian going to start laser engraving their stupid new "90's hair band" logo on the underside of their cymbals?
Careful, don't given them any ideas.

I recently picked up a new Sabian crash with that logo on the underside and it does indeed make me feel like I should be playing at a skate park. The next time I go out, I'm getting some acetone to remove that thing.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to start an argument, but this all seems like a ton of thinking/work to put into something that only you will notice. I confess, I've seen these threads before but dont get it. You leave the badges on the drum shells right?