Removing stain smudges from inside a maple shell...

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Keller maple shell bass drum. The previous owner did his own build out, including staining/lacquering and in the process left a few fingerprints and streaks inside the shell. No issues other than cosmetic and no one will see them, but.....I want 'em gone! Or least made smaller/less conspicuous.

I'd just use paint thinner or stain remover, but with very little experience in this department I'm worried about damaging the wood. I'd rather just leave them than open a can worms here....

Thank you!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you know what the po used to finish the shells? Are the fingerprints raised above the surface on top of a clear coat or below? If they are on the surface of a sealer coat, 000 steel wool is pretty gentle and will give you an idea if they can be removed without blowing through

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

The inside of the shells, where the fingerprints are, are unfinished - no clear coat or anything. The fingerprints aren't raised. Appears they just had stain on their hands while handling the shell...

Attachments

• 20220517_093002.jpg
    20220517_093002.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 34

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It doesn’t look like the stain has been absorbed in to the wood so they probably used a combined poly/stain. Steel wool or careful use of 320 grit sand paper should remove it or at least make it a lot harder to spot. Just be careful not to remove to much wood. Those plies are very thin

BillC

Reaction score
If someone drips stain on the inside of a shell. The first thing I do is DA sand with 320. Some will come off depending how or if the inside of the shell was treated. Then I soak a paper towel or rag in lacquer thinner. I wipe vigorously the whole area and lay the soaked paper towels on top of the area. Don’t just sand on the stain. Sand with sweeping motion. Laying on an area will create too much wave in the inside of the shell. Then I lay a soak lacquer thinner towel over that whole inside section of the shell. Leave it there for about 15 minutes. It will really raise the grain. After 15 minutes I scrub the area again with lacquer thinner (wear gloves!). Then I DA sand again with sweeping motion with 320 then 600 grit. Should blend in well.

Last edited:

wewing

Reaction score
Really tough to remove stain once it’s absorbed into the wood without sanding. thinners might lighten the stain but it will still be visible
if It were mine and had to do something I would probably use a wiping stain and stain the entire interior of the shell

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find the guy who did it and make him fix it !!!!

At least give him a “ what the heck bro ??”

wewing

Reaction score
Some aren’t bothered with attention to detail. Probably his first attempt at finishing raw wood.
again if mine I would try to lighten it with judicial use of lacquer thinner or acetone and then find the lightest shade of stain that would blend in. Looks like it has a lot of red in it so getting a vintage maple stain to cover would be impossible. Probably a light mahogany?