Removing Zildjian ink logos

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seens various posts on the subject on the DFO site but wanted to recheck with those in the know... bear with me if this is a repetition of posts past.
I want to remove the logos on the cymbal below. I understand it has the protective coating .
Would nail polish remover do the job?
Any guidance would be appreciated and I am also open to more natural, environmentally friendly ways of doing it?

Attachments

• crashcymbal.jpg
    crashcymbal.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 27

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful logos. Sorry, I won't help you in your quest to remove them and lower their value by 20-30%
In any case, I don't think there's any way to just remove the logo's without giving the cymbal a very strange and unnatural look.
If there is a protective coating, removing that will make the cymbal re-oxidize again following cleaning unless you reapply the coating .

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful logos. Sorry, I won't help you in your quest to remove them and lower their value by 20-30%
In any case, I don't think there's any way to just remove the logo's without giving the cymbal a very strange and unnatural look.
If there is a protective coating, removing that will make the cymbal re-oxidize again following cleaning unless you reapply the coating .
I'll keep that in mind re: values, thanks for pointing it out....enjoy your Sunday!

JazzDoc

Reaction score
They're your cymbals. You want the inked logos off? Do it. Tama CW has a good point but I say make them yours if that's what you want.
Get a can of acetone. Soak some paper towels in the acetone. Lay the soaked towels on top of the logos. Come back in 20 minutes with some dry, fresh paper towels and wipe the logos off.
I've done it many times, no weird look except a naked cymbal.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're your cymbals. You want the inked logos off? Do it. Tama CW has a good point but I say make them yours if that's what you want.
Get a can of acetone. Soak some paper towels in the acetone. Lay the soaked towels on top of the logos. Come back in 20 minutes with some dry, fresh paper towels and wipe the logos off.
I've done it many times, no weird look except a naked cymbal.
Thanks JazzDoc, great suggestion!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out the best way to reapply logos to 70s Paiste 2002s and y’all want to remove logos! Interesting world in which we live. ;-)

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I really dislike large obtrusive logos -- across the board. Cymbals, batter heads, front BD heads. I rarely buy new cymbals, but once I know they're "keepers," (after a few gigs), the logos come off. Those companies aren't paying me to advertise for them! I take the dealer logos off my cars as well (when I can).
Having said that, most of my cymbals are vintage, and the logos were long gone anyway.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Try acetone or lacquer thinner. On the whole cymbal. I have removed several logos. You will have a "ghost" logo however, until a patina develops. Resale value isn't super high with A customs anyways. Acetone/thinner, polish the whole cymbal and wash the polish off.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Commercial grade acetone from a
Try acetone or lacquer thinner. On the whole cymbal. I have removed several logos. You will have a "ghost" logo however, until a patina develops. Resale value isn't super high with A customs anyways. Acetone/thinner, polish the whole cymbal and wash the polish off.
[
Commercial grade acetone. From a paint store or home depot.