Renowned Drummers Debate Who's More Underrated: Ringo or the Cat Man?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I get to the article, I'll just say it's unfortunate The Beatles never gave Ringo Starr a featured platform to show off -- as KISS gifted Peter Criss with the extended solo on Alive! As a result of the lack of a showcase on The Beatles' "Live at the Hollywood Bowl," the drumming debate continues.

From Blabbermouth.net:

During a recent appearance on "Another FN Podcast With Izzy Presley", Charlie Benante (ANTHRAX), Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, SONS OF APOLLO), Roy Mayorga (STONE SOUR), Paul Gargano (Metal Edge) and radio personality Eddie Trunk debated the first three KISS albums. You can now watch the discussion below.

Asked for an opinion on who the more underrated drummer is, Peter Criss (KISS) or Ringo Starr (THE BEATLES), Portnoy said: "Underrated, you'd have to say Peter, because Ringo, as much as people give him mess for not being a great technical drummer, which I don't believe in, by the way — I totally don't agree with that — but Ringo is still at least acknowledged as Ringo, one of the most influential drummers of all time, whereas I don't think Peter gets that credit. I know I always cite him [as an influence], Charlie will cite him, Roy, Brian Tichy — there's a lot of us that love Peter and grew up on him and give him that credit, but I think generally, he's very, very underrated."

Benante concurred, saying: "If you listen to the solo on 'Alive', '100,000 Years', it's amazing. I think the problem with Peter is that after 'Alive' and 'Rock And Roll Over', I felt like he didn't push himself anymore; he just played whatever was good for the song, and that was it. But he definitely had the best snare drum tones on certain songs."

Portnoy continued: "I think they were still hungry for [the early albums]. Then once 'Destroyer', 'Rock And Roll Over' and 'Love Gun' [were released], they became one of the biggest bands in the world, and it probably was less inspiring and less hungry. But another thing about Peter you can't forget about is his vocals. The first album especially, he's singing a lot of lead vocals…

Who Is A More Underrated Drummer: Peter Criss Or Ringo Starr? - Blabbermouth.net

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Tichy does a great 100,000 years !!
I’ve tried to learn it and I can’t quite get it right .

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The main catalyst for Kiss’ popularity had nothing to do with their music. It was Marketing! Ace lived in Yonkers NY and used to tell people ‘they sucked’. They knew it. What got the kids attention and in turn dollars was all about the status of having them on Notebooks, Lunch Boxes, Book Covers, Milk Thermos, tattoos on and on. Kiss under Gene and Paul were the greatest marketers in the world in the seventies. That said, Peter Criss was adequate at best.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deafmoon ... Surely you're kidding! If notebooks, book covers and hair brushes somehow creates status around a band that makes kids ignore the music, what are we to believe about The Beatles' pioneering role in creating notebooks, lunch boxes, book covers and other merch? Talk about marketing geniuses!
Beatles-Collectibles-HP.jpg