Renting my AHM kit to H.E.R. Drummer for an upcoming concert. Nevermind!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I got a call the other day from my local drum shop owner asking if I’d rent my polar white AHM kit to a local back line company for the artist’s upcoming performance at the Concord Pavilion next week. They asked for a AHM 22/10/12/14/16 config in white

I said, hell yeah as long as they’re responsible for any damage. Kinda cool.

Anyone else provide their kits for backline?
7AAF5F0D-57B3-4519-B4DB-740FF4F0541A.jpeg

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a call the other day from my local drum shop owner asking if I’d rent my polar white AHM kit to a local back line company for the artist’s upcoming performance at the Concord Pavilion next week. They asked for a AHM 22/10/12/14/16 config in white

View attachment 517278
No, unless you know, and feel comfortable with, the drummer. What does responsible for damage mean? Repair? Replace? How do you prove damage wasn’t pre-existing?

A friend once “lent” his Yamaha MCA bop kit for an Ari Hoenig master class for free. THAT is a low risk lend. And, getting your kit back after being tuned by Ari Hoenig was compensation enough. :)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
No, unless you know, and feel comfortable with, the drummer. What does responsible for damage mean? Repair? Replace? How do you prove damage wasn’t pre-existing?

A friend once “lent” his Yamaha MCA bop kit for an Ari Hoenig master class for free. THAT is a low risk lend. And, getting your kit back after being tuned by Ari Hoenig was compensation enough. :)
All of the above. We will go over the kit at the drum shop when I drop it off. I’m in tight with the shop so I’m comfortable with this.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All of the above. We will go over the kit at the drum shop when I drop it off. I’m in tight with the shop so I’m comfortable with this.
You have an embarrassment of beautiful drums, btw! And, these are particularly beautiful. I especially like the white bass drum head (with the white muffle ring and white port ring), with the white bass drum. Very cool effect!

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A friend used to have a local drum school. I supplied my DW Collector's Series kit for Daniel Glass to do a clinic. I did the same with one of my vintage Gretsch kits for Stanton Moore and Hannah Welton without an issue. (The companies that they each endorse supplied a full set of heads, which were mine to keep.)

I also once supplied my DW Collector's Series kit for the local blues society to use for it's annual blues challenge. There were eleven bands, I was the drum tech for the day. I had one drummer who didn't understand the concept of loosening wing nuts to adjust stands. I was right there to help him adjust the kit, he just started yanking things. Otherwise, the gear was treated with respect by all.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She’s like the female Prince. Amazing artist.

I loaned my PHX set and Birch kick once to Richard Spaven for a studio session.

Worked out fine.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
i had done some backline supply for a family friend who was promoting some concerts. Usually got to see the shows for free and meet the drummers. Most were happy with what I provided and tuned them up better than I had.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do it once a year....when it was happening...next year??....for our local jazz fest that my partner produces. That is the reason....one less thing for her to worry about.... I also get paid rental in relation to whatever production costs are and if they, the player breaks something then they pay for or replace it. I have the same thing in reverse, when I use backline kits....below. A backilne company is already being paid, but if a friend or local fellow is supplying a kit then they get the going rate...
I supply a '65 set of teardrops, plus a Trace Elliot bass amp/cab for that part of the backline. I also take care of that part of the stage for the day....4 bands. ....also gottta watch your gear ya know...and sometimes an astounding drummer or three...
Another reason is to pay back and collect karma points.....for the most part I use(d) back line kits when touring and am very very grateful that drums are provided to begin with....but even more so when ya get a real cool kit and meet real cool folks.
bt

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gabi Wilson is a great talent. She'll no doubt have a great band with her. What I've heard is silky smooth with a minimum of bashing from the drums. Your drums should be fine. Go to the show and get back with your take.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Totaly out of the loop here. Is "HER" the name of the band/person or an abbreviation, or capital HER as in some really famous female person connected to the letters AHM? If it's a band name it's an incredibly poor choice in this day where search engines rule the land.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Totaly out of the loop here. Is "HER" the name of the band/person or an abbreviation, or capital HER as in some really famous female person connected to the letters AHM? If it's a band name it's an incredibly poor choice in this day where search engines rule the land.
When I Google "her" she's the first result.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yet you can't search for "ply" or "hat" here because it's too short.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gabi Wilson was the little girl who grew up across the street from me before moving to LA with her father Kenny. She and my oldest are the same age, so we did birthdays and stuff. I played with Kenny a few times. A fine guitar player. He taught HER quite a bit when she was very young.

I can remember Kenny and I drinking beers and talking about our kids. He would say “Gabi is gonna be a big star. She is singing the national anthem tonight at the Warriors game at age 8.”

first time I heard Gabi play piano and sing at our house, I knew he was right.

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you haven't seen H.E.R. on SNL from October of 2020 (Adele was the host), you should definitely check it out. Incredible, incredible performance. Especially the second song, "Hold On" -- it's one of the best SNL performances I've seen in a LONG time.

Her guitar playing knocked my socks off. Not any shredding by any standards, but she is definitely not just a singer strumming a few chords -- she handles the guitar like someone who's been doing it a long time. Great tone, total confidence with the instrument. Prince-like, if I'm being honest. Even little moves like adjusting the volume at 1:34 -- that's an actual player move.

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 517278
I just shipped our backline SCB kit to the same backline company for H.E,R to play at that show. She plays drums on one song during the show and needed a white Yamaha kit. Apparently the whole show is white-kit themed because we just made a matte black RC kit for her drummer for his touring rig.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just shipped our backline SCB kit to the same backline company for H.E,R to play at that show. She plays drums on one song during the show and needed a white Yamaha kit. Apparently the whole show is white-kit themed because we just made a matte black RC kit for her drummer for his touring rig.
Yeah Dan you might have a hard time getting your kit back. What she (h.e.r.?) is playing here is nice but wait 'till she gets a load of yours
1631590239852.png