Repair this?!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of taking this to a local welder to see what he might be able to do about refastening this bell before it totally breaks free. Thoughts?
B2784ECD-381F-4EC4-A725-6F3E30CCB9B7.jpeg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a 16" Zildjian A with almost the same issue. I'm not home right now to post pictures. I'll be interested to see if anything can be done with this type of problem.

-Mark

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is/was someone hear who would weld something into the bell that would give it some structural integrity. Question...how much do you want to put into a 400?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it was mine id stack it on top of a small splash and see how it sounds,, might be cool or could be awful..

Welding will change it but i guess what have you got to loose at this point.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is/was someone hear who would weld something into the bell that would give it some structural integrity. Question...how much do you want to put into a 400?
Not much! It actually sounds ok. $20 welding fee?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are pictures showing the issue with my 16" A Zildjian, which I mentioned in an earlier post. I believe the original owner used it as a hi hat cymbal, which probably explains how this happened! BTW, it is no longer being used as a HH cymbal, but was just set up on a stand. 16" hat cymbals just seem so large!

-Mark

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't see it happening, man......maybe cut it out to a 14" diameter, add some jingles and make it like one of those Dream snare cymbal thingies that Scott Pellegrom endorses......

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welder wont touch it and recommended another welder who he said would want $100 or at least $50. Not worth it. Oh well....

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had good luck repairing cracked bells with JBWeld.

Before you toss it I would try that. Maybe even drill some holes through the crack so that the JB creates a bridge through both side. Might even use some mesh drywall tape imbedded along the worst of it.

Brazing is really the operation that is required for brass though finding guys that still braise well is not easy.

I am a decent braiser, if the were my cymbal I might try it. Would take a little luck though.

I own a 22” 400 ride myself. One of my favorites.

Latest posts