Repaired a couple of my old broken cymbals today!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I came across some videos on YouTube of guys cutting the cracked/broken portions of cymbals out to extend the life of them. I'm just getting back into drumming, so I haven't been building my kit for very long. It was a little lacking in the cymbal department, but I really don't have the cash to buy any cymbals right now. After seeing a few videos on the process I decided to try my hand at salvaging a couple of broken cymbals I've had laying around for years.

To my surprise they both turned out great! They sound way better than I was expecting! Especially the old 16" paper thin crash. That used to be my favorite cymbal years ago, and I didn't even break it! It was left at a friend's house, and the next time I went over there I found it had a huge chunk missing out of the side...

Anyway I'm really happy to have added 2 cymbals to my kit for a total of $0, and to have my beloved 16" paper thin crash back! I think it's probably older than I am!

"Before"
Screenshot_2020-06-20-22-41-12(1)-01.jpeg

"After"

Last edited:

cin

Reaction score
Fine looking repairs! I believe in round smooth corners :)
Sometimes repairs like that can even make a cymbal better than the original. (PSA: SOMETIMES. Kids, don't cut your uncracked cymbals)
I have an old 20" Sabian Sound Control ride that has round chunk cut out as a crack repair, and I can't imagine it sounded better before, but it sounds really excellent now.
I also know of a jazz player who cut chunks out of a cymbal to the exact specs of Mel Lewis's old beaten ride.

Z

zenstat

Nice repair jobs. It is surprising how a chunk or two can be cut out of a cymbal and it still sounds nice.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
buying broken cymbals is a way to obtain some pricier models on the cheap. I've obtained some for $10 a pc and they sound...unbroken when I'm done.

FWIW...Sabian B8 rides can be hammered and improved and are often found cheap.

enjoy

SteveDilksDrums

Reaction score
There are some great video series YouTube about modifying and repairing cymbals. You could definitely pick up some cheaper B8 pies and make them sound a little better than stock. Check out Lance Campeau and Nicky Moon for some great instructional videos.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments! I know I forgot before pics, but I honestly wasn't expecting to have any results I would want to post about. I was pleasantly surprised! I played them at practice today and they both really do sound great! The Paper Thin is back to being my favorite crash now.

I do have an 18" Sabian B8 Pro Medium Crash that came with my 1980 Pearl kit. It's my least favorite cymbal. In my opinion it's too thick and heavy to be a good crash, and not big or pingy enough to be a good ride, so it's almost useless to me as is. I think I'll check out some more videos and maybe try hammering it?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I did a pretty decent job for my very first time trying it. I'll definitely be on the lookout for nice cymbals with minor damage/cracks that I can get cheap, and then fix up from now on!

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can possibly do to my 18" Sabian B8 Pro Medium Crash to make it sound less like crashing a small, but super thick ride cymbal?? I'm worried hammering might make it too trashy sounding. Should I just go slow and do lots of sound tests in between every few hammer strikes?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Came across a crappy "before" picture of these 2 cymbals and figured I'd add it to the thread.

Screenshot_2020-06-20-22-41-12(1)-01.jpeg