Repairing a 1930's sprung bass drum hoop - fixed and back together

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Off a 1930's Slingerland 26x12. Both hoops have this same issue. Will glue be strong enough to bond these pieces back together? There's a lot of sprung force on them. And looking at the old wood, these don't look torn or damaged....and no obvious signs of old glue having been there before. If glue can hold 'em....what kind? I have some clamps I can use. Thanks.

I'll also mention that one of the re-rings slips down easily on one side. Would just inserting some glue in there be enough?

IMG_20190817_162738.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glue should work to hold the hoops together as long as you clamp them securely until the glue is fully dry. It looks like the separation is at the original scarf joint so a good wood glue should work. They were glued together originally. I have a modern wood hoop that was snapped completely apart that I glued with Gorilla glue about 10 years ago and it's still in one piece.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So what's a "good" wood glue with impressive bonding strength. Titebond? Elmer's Wood Glue?

The rusted tension rods on this are very resistant to cleaning up. The T handle is probably nickel. Not sure of the shaft itself. After soaking in Dawn for 4 days, lots of rust. I've never had T rods before that wouldn't clean up in a day or so.

Last edited: