Repairing out-of-round Stainless Steel shells — lil help?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I recently brought home a kit I've been dreaming about for a long time — a mid-70's Ludwig Pro Beat in Stainless Steel. These drums are really incredible. Unfortunately, they're also incredibly heavy, and I have reason to believe that the weight of my rack tom is pulling itself and the bass drum out of round!

When I brought the kit home, I replaced every single head on it. At the time, everything tuned up really nice, and I was floored by how great each drum sounded at different tunings. (I'm now playing it as a 1-up 2-down config, with the 14 as rack tom, mounted to the bass drum) But now 2 weeks later, the 14 doesn't seem to tune at all — it's completely choked and half the lugs don't seem to "seat" the heads on either side. The kick heads also seem to have developed wrinkles in certain "corners" that come back a couple hours after tuning. (This kick has the extra steel on the inside too!)

This makes me think that the weight of the 14 is pulling at the mount so hard that it's warping itself and the bass drum it's sitting on. I went and got a new mount for the tom (one that has a larger "washer" for the inside of the shell and a rubber gasket on the outside) and that hasn't helped. I've heard that you can use a clamp to "squeeze" the drum back into round, and I'm fine with doing that (with your guidance), but I really want to mount the tom to the kick, and I'm afraid that it won't be possible.

I need your help drumforum!

IMG_7677.jpg IMG_7724.JPG

nopork

Reaction score
I think I can help you get it back in round. I've got the clamps and done this before on many restoration projects of mine.

PM if you want info.

Myron

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I can help you get it back in round. I've got the clamps and done this before on many restoration projects of mine.

PM if you want info.

Myron
Well that's downright neighborly of you. PM incoming!

Ptrick

Reaction score
I’d also consider using another way to mount the tom off the bass drum to save from future problems. (Cymbal stand maybe?)

Latest posts