Repairing Vistas.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To add another question to the vista mix, there's a spiral Vista on eBay that's in horrible shape. Split right at the seam. How much work would it be to get this tragedy back in shape?? Just as a question really, I wouldn't want to be the one to put the work in on this thing...

Last year, I was looking into a set of clear Vistas and it had a crack along the side of the floor tom. I considered buying it and filling the crack, but was steered otherwise from you good gents.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Separated at the seams is an easy fix. Clamp and fill the v joint with the appropriate bonding agent. I forget the product name. I have done it and it was a breeze, no problems since. However on this tom the problem is the big chip out of the bearing edge. I suppose you could cut it clean and glue another same thickness piece to it and redo the edge. Most likely it would all get covered by the rim. You would want to get it real real cheap for that amount of work.

9Lb Tongue

Oily Beau Hunk
Reaction score
Dont bother...that thing is hosed. if it was just the seam, it would be easy and do able, but that missing part ruins it.

You could turn it over and use it as a really crappy concert tom.

Even though those striped vistas are hard to come by, one will show up sooner or later. is this something you need to finish a kit, or as an add on?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, I was just looking at it as an interest piece.

Generally wonder how tough Vista fixes are? Seeing as how they are prone to damage, some of the older ones.

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Reaction score
Separated at the seams is an easy fix. Clamp and fill the v joint with the appropriate bonding agent. I forget the product name. I have done it and it was a breeze, no problems since. However on this tom the problem is the big chip out of the bearing edge. I suppose you could cut it clean and glue another same thickness piece to it and redo the edge. Most likely it would all get covered by the rim. You would want to get it real real cheap for that amount of work.
The product you're referring to is probably Weld-On. Weld-On makes several products for cementing & repairing acrylic & plexiglass. They have cements which are either very fluid and almost watery, and others that are thicker and less viscous. I have a website saved to my Favorites on my home PC (I'm not home now) that shows how to repair a seam crack like this one.

However, I see chunks missing from the top of the crack. That ain't going to be easy to fix...

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
Vistalites are usually an easy fix, moderate scratches and abrasions can be buffed out with no problem, and a split seam is easy to fix.

But that shell is completely useless as a potential drum. If the seller gets $5 he's lucky.

Bermuda

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i wouldnt try to salvage it either. too much going on there for me. would be nice for a vistalite collector as a conversation item,lamp maybe....

mike

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Reaction score
Glue it, cut it down and make a 6.5 deep snare out of it???
A fantastic idea...but cutting acrylic is risky even when it's a simple flat piece; cutting down a curved acrylic shell is not for the faint of heart. That's *not* something you'll do at home with a jigsaw and fine-tooth blade or a hacksaw. It's so prone to chipping and outright cracking. That's a project for a machine shop, I'd assume.

Not to mention, you'd be re-drilling a lot of holes and possibly have to find a way to fill the old holes...yikes. I like challenges but that's not one that I'd bother with. I'm not man enough. :)