header.nohb.html

Replace heads top and bottom 67 ludwig

Stoked2

Reaction score
What heads would you use top and bottom for my 1967 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle 20, 16 , 12, and 10 lug 14 metal snare

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
these are really good sounding drum heads on my 65 champagne ludwig set ....
aquarian deep vintage II

Attachments

• aquarian deep vintage II.jpg
    aquarian deep vintage II.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 23

Stoked2

Reaction score
thanks guys. A few options to try! I also have 2 sets one never opened from boxes, which is a PDP Concept Maple and the other a Sonor Aq2 Maple which had been converted to electronic living in an apt. I have the opportunity now yo play a kit acoustically! I am thinking these kits would be a coated emperor or ambassador on the snare top and some clears on the others ? What do you guys think? When I was working I would just buy a couple of sets and see what I like, but now retired and watching bucks a little. I dont gig , just play along to music! I don't know wth to put on the bottoms either

dcdrum

Reaction score
Ambassador x are also great for a slightly warmer, thumpier sound than regular ambassadors
I can second this on the Remo Coated Ambassador Xs. I got these when my local shop was out of regular Ambassadors and they sound great on my early 70s 3-ply Ludwigs. They're 22-13-16 configuration, but I'd think the results would be similar. Just a little richer tone than Ambassadors to my ear, but not as different as Emperors. It is a bit cheaper to get Ambassadors in a pack, though, and they sound great, too. I was just pleasantly surprised.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
I can second this on the Remo Coated Ambassador Xs. I got these when my local shop was out of regular Ambassadors and they sound great on my early 70s 3-ply Ludwigs. They're 22-13-16 configuration, but I'd think the results would be similar. Just a little richer tone than Ambassadors to my ear, but not as different as Emperors. It is a bit cheaper to get Ambassadors in a pack, though, and they sound great, too. I was just pleasantly surprised.
Yeah good sound, sakae trilogy used to ship with them stock and that’s a 3ply kit

antiquemusic

Reaction score
What heads would you use top and bottom for my 1967 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle 20, 16 , 12, and 10 lug 14 metal snare
for best resale collectors value Ludwig Weathermaster white coated single ply heads in my opinion...second best choice for resale collectors value would be the generic white coated drum heads DrumFactoryDirect.com

Last edited:

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've usually run coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadors on my Ludwig '60's toms. Get a nice warm tone. I recently gave clear Ambassadors a try and they didn't disappoint - but I liked the coated heads a bit more. I also recently gave clear CS Dot heads a try on my toms. At first they seemed a bit too 'attacky' sounding. But when using my other '60's Ludwig kit as a reference point, I was able to get the CS Dots sounding great. Right now I'm using clear CS Dots over coated Ambassadors. The 13x9, when tuned slightly higher than I normally tune, really sings. The floor tom sounds massive. I think the heads just needed to be broken in a bit as well. I've got a coated PS3 on my 22x14 and coated Ambassador on the snare. This kit is a Ludwig '68 13x9, 16x16, 22x14.

FB49AE2B-AD90-4254-A483-C28BD50460E2_1_201_a.jpeg

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usually prefer Weather Master heads on my champagne sparkles but definitely go with Ambassadors on red.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on coated Ambassador X, awesome head. Feels like a classic Amb, but has more body, more oomph. Fantastic snare batter head as well. (Evans G12 is phenomenal, but you just gotta put Remo heads on vintage Ludwigs - it is ordained)

For toms, it totally depends on what sound you’re trying to get. Again, Amb X (over coated or clear Ambs) is a good choice for a classic sound with a bit more bottom.

Vintage Ambs are excellent if you want a middle ground between a thuddy 2-ply and a bright 1 ply - great heads. I’m using Vintage Ambs over coated Ambs on a Ludwig Club Date 13/16/24 and they’re perrrrrfect. Fat thwomps without any unpleasant 2ply feel, best of both worlds. Also, iirc it’s a remake of an old recipe from the 50s/60s era so it’s period correct!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My gigging kit (66 Ludwig 22/13/16) has coated Ambassadors on top with clear Ambassadors on bottom; works well for outside concerts...my other kits (65 Downbeat, 65 Super Classic and 66 Super Classic) are used indoors and have coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadors.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. A few options to try! I also have 2 sets one never opened from boxes, which is a PDP Concept Maple and the other a Sonor Aq2 Maple which had been converted to electronic living in an apt. I have the opportunity now yo play a kit acoustically! I am thinking these kits would be a coated emperor or ambassador on the snare top and some clears on the others ? What do you guys think? When I was working I would just buy a couple of sets and see what I like, but now retired and watching bucks a little. I dont gig , just play along to music! I don't know wth to put on the bottoms either
Me, I like what a coated tom head does to mute the sound a bit and take off a little bit of rock and roll attack. I don’t dislike that attack by any means, but to me it’s a little more versatile without it. I do, however, like a clear head on the reso to add a little back into it. I was using coated Ambs as resos but changed them to clear last week, and I think I made a good decision.

Emps are a little more thuddy than Ambs, but either works for me on toms. Snares only get a coated Amb over a clear Amb, though. Only snare head combo I truly love.

Davo

Reaction score
What kind of music do you play ? Heavy hitter or no ? Indoor or outdoor venues and size of venue ?

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Coated Ambassadors top and bottom on toms. Coated PS3 on the kick. Coated Controlled Sound on the snare.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on coated Ambassador X, awesome head. Feels like a classic Amb, but has more body, more oomph. Fantastic snare batter head as well. (Evans G12 is phenomenal, but you just gotta put Remo heads on vintage Ludwigs - it is ordained)

For toms, it totally depends on what sound you’re trying to get. Again, Amb X (over coated or clear Ambs) is a good choice for a classic sound with a bit more bottom.

Vintage Ambs are excellent if you want a middle ground between a thuddy 2-ply and a bright 1 ply - great heads. I’m using Vintage Ambs over coated Ambs on a Ludwig Club Date 13/16/24 and they’re perrrrrfect. Fat thwomps without any unpleasant 2ply feel, best of both worlds. Also, iirc it’s a remake of an old recipe from the 50s/60s era so it’s period correct!

I just ordered a 13" coated Ambassador X yesterday after reading this. - the shop was out of 16". Should arrive tomorrow. After this I'll have a coated Ambassador, clear Ambassador, clear CS Dot, coated Ambassador X and coated Emperor. The emps came with the kit - but I find they sound a bit too dark. The CS Dots actually sound pretty dang good with a little muffling added.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coated Ambassadors top and bottom on toms. Coated PS3 on the kick. Coated Controlled Sound on the snare.
I've been using coated Ambassadors top/bottom for the past few years on both my vintage Ludwig kits. The sound perfect for me. I also use a coated PS3 kick batter with the kick reso tuned up semi-tight with a felt strip. Provides nice boom and punch. I recently decided to try other batter heads on my toms. Clear ambassadors, clear CS Dots, coated Emps and hopefully tomorrow coated Ambassador X's. So far my favorite are coated Ambassadors and the clear CS Dots.