header.nohb.html

Repro Rogers B&B lugs Rogers USA

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to grabbing a set for my newest Rogers Luxor early 60’s with mostly cracked lugs (of course)
Here’s my take on the repro’s:
Relatively cheap considering around 14 a pop. Jim Petty was getting 20- 30 for his but they were much more authentic, perfect in every way. He’s not with us anymore unfortunately.
And neither are his lugs.

Excellent overall build quality although the new chrome is a darker shade than 60’s chrome which is brighter more silvery. Almost black chrome but not quite. No biggie but I’m a nut about fine details. I like the original chrome much better, matches all the other on the drum.

The new swivel nuts are shorter than the originals about 3/16 shorter.( you see more rod thread) I’m a detail guy so this doesn’t work well for me.

Now the real kicker is the center axis of the swivel nut sits back a good 1/16 + so there’s notable lug/ rod splay. Yeah this doesn’t work at all for me either. Looks like doodoo on a stick.

Bottom line. These badboys are coming off the drum tomorrow and I’ll put the originals back on, maybe even do the jb weld repair before I do so.

Sorry Rogers lugs. Close but no cigar.
D2E0D849-05FC-4896-B088-D2794D3F7DBF.jpeg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good assessment. I do believe they are made to be used with that annoying plastic gasket. That might account for the splay. I have a couple of sets of the Petty B&B lugs. Nothing can compare to those.
Those gowdaweful looking black rubber gaskets will help but not eliminate the splay.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not trying to dis the guys who put a lot of time and effort into making Rogers USA happen , I realize it’s not a perfect world. Just wish they had consulted me on the engineering! If they had the swivel nuts would have been proper length as to match the originals. Also they would’ve been located in the right spot so no rod splay.
And while I’m knit picking
The washers on the new screws are larger that the originals and now I have marks on the shell when I put the originals back on. Duh.
Ok sorry mini rant over enjoy your lugs!

Got splay?
07802D3F-3F0F-408C-B213-BB47D7E7E5D5.jpeg
B91695CE-47C4-4E16-9D92-73E398F4901C.jpeg
FA377711-0FF0-4EE5-934E-AA56A611F845.jpeg
8D1904BA-FB1B-47FA-9FA3-85ADAB271392.jpeg
19E922D8-7E3C-44CA-9830-1D3F50EC79E3.jpeg

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
a friend of mine installed the new bb lugs on a couple of his snares
it changed the sound on them , too bright sounding , if that makes any sense .... imho
Thank you for saying that. I also installed the new lugs and thought the exact same thing. Too bright sounding and without character. My 3 ply Holiday should sound much warmer than it does. I guess I should learn to trust my ears.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As folklore rumour would have it the master of invention and ingenuity Joe Thompson designed the hollow thin walled drawn brass lugs to act as a sound chamber as that inside a bronze bell! All part of that vintage Rogers sound

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
As folklore rumour would have it the master of invention and ingenuity Joe Thompson designed the hollow thin walled drawn brass lugs to act as a sound chamber as that inside a bronze bell! All part of that vintage Rogers sound

Never heard that before.
Is there really any truth to it?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man I would love to hear a drum with originals play next to a drum with repros.
To see if I could discern a difference.