Reproduction Round Badges?

DD

Reaction score
Greetings all- does anyone have experience with the reproduction round badges for Gretsch restorations? I’ve seen several on eBay and they seem to look ok… just wondering if anyone here has tried them and how the quality is on those? Thanks

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used some several years ago. They look fine in my application (replacing the chevron on some 57 Renowns). The ones I had were made in England and I was told that the guy who made them passed away so I don't know how the ones currently available might compare. I also wonder if Bumwrap has a deal with Gretsch that allows them to offer these. They seem to have several brands of badges outwardly advertised on ebay (the ones I got were a strictly "underground" affair) which indicates that either they have permission to create them, have found some trademark loophole, or have been very lucky so far.

20190622_210601.jpg

Reactions: DD

jmetatual

Reaction score
I can't speak to the correctness of the Gretsch repro badges but their Slingerland repro's are not true to the originals. Some of the errors are glaring and others are minor so if you are looking for originality they will not hold up to scrutiny.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
did I read somewhere the -some- repos are extremely thin
(not K.O.'s his look great

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
did I read somewhere the -some- repos are extremely thin
(not K.O.'s his look great
Yeah, mine are pretty dead on in both appearance and thickness. But as I said I don't know how they might compare to the current ones...might be identical, might not.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a few from 4-5 years ago made out of resin. Looked like the real deal and had the tack pin but were about 1/16" thick.......good from far, but awful overall. Don't have any experience with these latest metal ones, but they look much better than mine.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a few from 4-5 years ago made out of resin. Looked like the real deal and had the tack pin but were about 1/16" thick.......good from far, but awful overall. Don't have any experience with these latest metal ones, but they look much better than mine.
I remember those, probably someone's homemade solution to needing some round badges.

I toyed with the notion of vacuum forming some, which would result in very thin plastic ones, but then found the metal copies I ultimately bought and used.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might send someone with Gretsch badged handcuffs to make citizens arrest on Round Badges on renown
(answer: come get me copper!) lol