Repurposed Ludwig 70’s and 80’s power toms

DD

Reaction score
Greetings all- curious about members’ experiences reconfiguring Luddy power tom shells into smaller bop kit toms and floor toms. Have you tried it and if so how did it go? (Thinking about the 70’s and 80’s toms in particular) I’ve been pondering how well that could work for a bop kit. Shells though to me look seriously stout (i.e. heavy enough to offset advantage of smaller more portable kit config) Not that it would make huge difference sound wise. (Or would it?). Mostly wondering if weight would be a killer…

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not Ludwig, but I built this one with 10/13 '70's Gretsch toms and a 20" Ludwig bass. Hipgig on steroids! The 16” bass was the only thing I didn’t love about mine.
Gigged it constantly until the shutdown........
IMG_2266.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted a 13x14 into a floor tom. I redrilled it for 8 lugs (10 looked too busy, especially next to an 8 lug 16x16). It worked very well for me and was much less expensive than trying to find a 14x14 to redo. I don't think the missing inch makes a lot of difference. The 6 ply works fine with the other 3 ply drums....at least to my ears.

20180105_202851.jpg

ribco front.jpg

I also turned a 12x13 "Rocker" shell into a floor tom for another set. In this case the "big" floor tom is the 14x14...

jazzette2.jpg

The 4 ply early rockers are good shells and a bit lighter than the 6 plies if weight is a concern. Cheaper too.

healthie1

Reaction score
One of the guys who works at Revival drum shop used to post snare drums he built out of ludwig power toms on the pearldrummersforum; they're awesome. I have a kit with a 16" bass drum; retrospectively I should have cut it to 12" or 10".

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I also turned a Slingerland 15x15 power tom into a floor tom too.

Always busy....

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted a 13x14 into a floor tom. I redrilled it for 8 lugs (10 looked too busy, especially next to an 8 lug 16x16). It worked very well for me and was much less expensive than trying to find a 14x14 to redo. I don't think the missing inch makes a lot of difference. The 6 ply works fine with the other 3 ply drums....at least to my ears.

View attachment 532225

View attachment 532226

I also turned a 12x13 "Rocker" shell into a floor tom for another set. In this case the "big" floor tom is the 14x14...

View attachment 532227

The 4 ply early rockers are good shells and a bit lighter than the 6 plies if weight is a concern. Cheaper too.
Agreed, the 4 ply early clear maple interior shells are perfect donor shells. Cheap as well.

Reactions: DD

DD

Reaction score
Agreed, the 4 ply early clear maple interior shells are perfect donor shells. Cheap as well.
Thanks for the input! How to tell if early Rocker? Certain badge #’s to look for? Wasn’t sure what years those would be…

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! How to tell if early Rocker? Certain badge #’s to look for? Wasn’t sure what years those would be…
Clear maple interiors, black and white badge, no serial numbers, should give you late 80’s Rocker drums that are nice shells. Of course they’ll have the fairly unattractive lugs on them.

Reactions: DD