Reputation (feedback)

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello,
How does this function work? I just had a great exchange with member PsychRed and would like to add to his reputation number, as I am sure he would to mine. Is this something members can do? As of now, we both have reputations of "1 Neutral".
Thanks in advance,
Chris

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
chris

as an admin, ive never used the reputation button. plus, my screen may look different than yours. i do think,however, that the button is at the right hand lower section of the screen. see one in your post that allows the reputation to be increased. give that a shot.

if not, maybe some of members will chime in for you...

mike

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello,
How does this function work? I just had a great exchange with member PsychRed and would like to add to his reputation number, as I am sure he would to mine. Is this something members can do? As of now, we both have reputations of "1 Neutral".
Thanks in advance,
Chris
chris on the right hand bottom of psychred on his post you will see above the multi quote box a green + and a 0 - press his + green button, damn that sounds funny, it will give him a positive point , if you follow me, you can only see this on another members post not your own?

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
You have to have 10 +1s to have a "good" rep and 20 to have an "excellent" rep.
The reputation function is really meaningless. It's entirely subjective; often +1s are given because someone made a funny comment, while in the same thread, the person who actually provided the useful information that answered the O.P.'s question goes ignored. And there's lots of "buddy-buddy" mutual back-scratching/rep padding, too...

Harmless, really. But not a reliable indicator of cred.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. It is just that I am still not well known here and want to be able to have a good reputation. Why? Because I hate eBay with a passion and I want/need to sell some other items here. It would be nice to have my reputation precede me in a good way! Thanks again!

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. It is just that I am still not well known here and want to be able to have a good reputation. Why? Because I hate eBay with a passion and I want/need to sell some other items here. It would be nice to have my reputation precede me in a good way! Thanks again!
Chris, it has nothing to do with at all, you build your own reputation with your own actions, I sale on ebay, here and on another forum I use the same practices on all 3 of them, do unto others as you would have them do to you. the reputation system really means almost squat.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Titus, I don't think, at least I hope, that last comment was at me, the OP. I was just trying to figure out the usage of the rep points, and whether they were a useful tool. It seems that they are somewhere in the middle. More of a high five than an endorsement. Suffice it to say, I will be listing more items here for sale and my reputation née integrity are paramount.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Titus and Chris, I don't think anyone is really down on the idea, we just haven't really used it much. I too think that the way the points are setup on this software don't really lend themselves to a reliable indication of trustworthiness in a transaction. Points can be given for absolutely no reason, and I don't think the average user can give a "negative point" so if there were a bad transaction the rep points wouldn't reflect that.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just because it is an inherently flawed format doesn't mean we shouldn't use it to give props to someone who is deserving. If it is as intrinsically useless as you say, could we either remove it or improve it so that it can be used as an indicator of someone's reputation? The score could be hidden, available only to the admins. to be referenced only in time of need. Just a suggestion.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Chris, I don't have the answer to that. My "mod" status isn't the same as "admin" - I don't have access to the software that way. It's really a question for Eck, and I don't think he's got much time on his hands. You could PM him with the suggestion.

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're fine and I'm glad you asked. I'd no idea people were so negative about something that's supposed to be a positive. I'll rep ya! :)
I rep Titus just as a general rule every chance I get. By the way, exactly how many greens does it take to be declared "Emperor"?

I never knew what that was before.... :-D