Request ID & repair advice: Ludwig Super Classic snare

f15c

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here, taking first step into vintage drums and would like to ask for some comments and advice. I just picked up what I believe to be a 1961 Ludwig Super Classic snare drum. My goal is to clean it up best I can and use as a "player" and keep it forever.

Identification:
Can any experts help me verify this is what I have, and does all the hardware seem to be correct? Drum facts (as I know them based on internet research, Ludwig catalogs and info from the seller from whom I purchased...I'm not finding much more info on Super Classic snare drums):
- 8-lug 5.5 x 14, pre-serial keystone badge, P87 WFL classic strainer, white interior, twist knob tone control, silver/gold/champagne sparkle wrap (looks lighter in bright light, more gold in low light)
- Super Classic is the only 5.5in snare I see in the 1960 and 1962 catalogs
- Magnet doesn't stick to hoops, so I don't think they are steel...but I don't know what they are
- I'm told all original except the wires, but I wouldn't know one way or the other
- I don't see a date stamp, but the back side of the strainer has "4-61" written on it...not that it confirms anything

I'm asking for help to confirm the drum model because in all my searches, I'm not seeing anything exactly like this one. Most Super Classics I've seen seem to be white pearl, and I've only seen one or two with sparkle wraps...and on one of those the tone control screw was below the knob, not on top like mine. So...I'm just not sure.

Damage/Repairs:
To me, the drum and hardware feels pretty solid, looks to be in round, strainer works fine, drum sounds good to me. But there is some "cosmetic damage" that I just want to clean up (particularly the interior), but I wanted to seek general comments first before I completely disassemble. I've never dealt with a P-87 before. Damage I notice:
- Main damage appears to be the interior opposite the strainer; seller told me a previous owner dropped the drum onto the strainer while cleaning, and looks like splintered the wood around the top screw hole...I want to pull the strainer off and repair that area, as well as do an overall sand and repaint of the interior
- Exterior, the wrap above the top of the strainer is peeled back just a bit, and I think I can see a crack above the top screw hole area
- Otherwise the interior just looks dirty, messy and crackled...so would like to do a sand/repaint...the seam looks/feels uneven, and there is a weird small nail or something that seems to be surfacing from nowhere...I'm wondering if it's already been repainted before...i can see brush strokes, and its not the cleanest paint job
- top hoop has a small dent, not worried about it; both sides of bottom hoop near snare beds are bent...i don't love it, but not too worried about that
- I don't think plies are separating, but there is some sort of a gap between plies on top bearing edge...maybe just needs to be filled

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to any comments or feedback you may have.
Chris

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
White interior looks original. Ludwig was not known for their exactness. The edge damage just needs to be filled and or glued. The interior damage to the shell is hard to tell. Is there damage to the front? It may be as simple as quick patch and paint touch-up.

You're not going to find the exact paint because that was leaded paint which they don't make anymore. I restored a late 60's Jazzette kit and I have a very close match that's a Benjamin Moore paint if you want that information. Finally, I have an Oct. 1960 in gold sparkle. It's a transition badge though and someone added a p83 which in my opinion is a much better snare but of course it has two extra holes now. Good luck and please post pictures of your repair....thanks.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
It's indeed a Super Classic. Appears to be silver sparkle from your photos. Hardware almost appears to be chromed but it's most likely nickel plated brass.

That interior damage can be repaired with wood glue and perhaps some wood putty to build up where the missing mahogany piece was.
You could use a small brush to repaint that area with something like eggshell white semigloss afterwards OR do a complete interior repaint but I've forgotten what type of paint has been successfully used in this kind of interior restoration specifically. Try using the search function here using keywords like: "Ludwig white interior paint"

The blemish above the strainer doesn't look too bad. Remove the hardware for closer inspection.

Also, these drums used an extended wireset, one side of the wireset screwed into a threaded hole piece at the bottom of the strainer.

Those are great old drums, I've got the WFL Buddy Rich version in WMP with NOB hardware.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I echo Steven here: that's a great drum. After your exacting description, when I got to the pics I expected a brutal mess, but the drum appears to be in very good condition.

To each, his own, but regarding the less-than-white interior: many of us here do love the smell of Res-o-Cote first thing in the morning, and I don't think anybody much goes inside the drums and messes with the interiors, but, for example, in '97 I bought what is about a '63 Jazz Festival as part of a '62 Downbeat set. I got it from a Cajun, so the drums had lived out in the Bayou. They are in good shape, but that lovely white (and knowing Ludwig, cheap) paint was sort of fading into shell. But I'm just gonna treat it as "patina," and leave her be. The Blue Sparkle wrap is nice and strong!

Whatever you do, you've got a fine drum there.

f15c

Reaction score
White interior looks original. Ludwig was not known for their exactness. The edge damage just needs to be filled and or glued. The interior damage to the shell is hard to tell. Is there damage to the front? It may be as simple as quick patch and paint touch-up.

You're not going to find the exact paint because that was leaded paint which they don't make anymore. I restored a late 60's Jazzette kit and I have a very close match that's a Benjamin Moore paint if you want that information. Finally, I have an Oct. 1960 in gold sparkle. It's a transition badge though and someone added a p83 which in my opinion is a much better snare but of course it has two extra holes now. Good luck and please post pictures of your repair....thanks.
Thank you for the response. Yes you can see a crack on the front of the shell just above the strainer, under a small bit of wrap that is peeled up. Hard to see. I have seen some other references to the Benjamin Moore paint, will check it out. Thank you so much!

f15c

Reaction score
It's indeed a Super Classic. Appears to be silver sparkle from your photos. Hardware almost appears to be chromed but it's most likely nickel plated brass.

That interior damage can be repaired with wood glue and perhaps some wood putty to build up where the missing mahogany piece was.
You could use a small brush to repaint that area with something like eggshell white semigloss afterwards OR do a complete interior repaint but I've forgotten what type of paint has been successfully used in this kind of interior restoration specifically. Try using the search function here using keywords like: "Ludwig white interior paint"

The blemish above the strainer doesn't look too bad. Remove the hardware for closer inspection.

Also, these drums used an extended wireset, one side of the wireset screwed into a threaded hole piece at the bottom of the strainer.

Those are great old drums, I've got the WFL Buddy Rich version in WMP with NOB hardware.
Thank you for the response, much appreciated and very helpful!

f15c

Reaction score
I echo Steven here: that's a great drum. After your exacting description, when I got to the pics I expected a brutal mess, but the drum appears to be in very good condition.

To each, his own, but regarding the less-than-white interior: many of us here do love the smell of Res-o-Cote first thing in the morning, and I don't think anybody much goes inside the drums and messes with the interiors, but, for example, in '97 I bought what is about a '63 Jazz Festival as part of a '62 Downbeat set. I got it from a Cajun, so the drums had lived out in the Bayou. They are in good shape, but that lovely white (and knowing Ludwig, cheap) paint was sort of fading into shell. But I'm just gonna treat it as "patina," and leave her be. The Blue Sparkle wrap is nice and strong!

Whatever you do, you've got a fine drum there.
Thank you sir, I appreciate your response. I was curious if anyone might respond with “just leave it alone,”... happy to hear outside opinions that it looks to be in decent shape as is. That said, the interior damage around the strainer bugs me, I still have the itch to repair that area... which just leads to think if I’m repainting that spot, might as well clean up the entire interior. You all have given me good points to think about, thanks again for taking the time to respond.

f15c

Reaction score
Ok, I’ve completely disassembled the drum in order to clean it up and inspect any damage. I’ve decided to proceed with repairing the damage behind the P-87 and a general cleanup of the interior... and will later decide on repainting interior or not. Probably yes, but we’ll see.
- The exterior damage looks limited to where the P-87 punched into the shell a bit. Slight denting around the bottom screw hole, But I’m not going to mess with that. Above the top screw hole, the damage includes small area of cracked wrap, wrap separating into two layers, and a punch into the wood ply(s). Not going to attempt any wood repair from the exterior side, will just try to push wood from interior to get it flush with exterior again. Also considering gluing peeled wrap back down to the shell here as well. All this is pretty much hidden behind the P-87, so not a big deal (to me).
- The interior damage is mostly the splitting and splintering of the wood above the top screw hole. My intent is to pack those shreds and layers back in where they came from best I can with some wood glue, clamp and let dry. I anticipate having to remove some shreds here and there to get it to lay flat again. Then will use white DAP plastic wood to fill in and level it all out. After light sanding, will determine need for re-paint.

See pics for what I’m looking at, and I welcome any comments or advice on my plan. Thanks!

Attachments

Latest posts