Rescuing and pimping out my Leedy Broadway.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hi all.
I recently aquired an old Leedy Broadway snare that looked like it could need some help.
I really don't have much experience with leedy.
Can any one help me dating it based on the pictures?
3ply maple/poplar/maple i guess.

IMG_20200618_224744.jpg

IMG_20200621_133423.jpg

The shell is stamped with. 020 pearl which i guess relates to the finish of the drum?
Is .020 the color code for bdp?

IMG_20200621_133407.jpg

The drum seems to have been stored in a chicken barn or something similar as it was partly covered with feathers and chicken droppings...it smells terrible.
What is the general feeling in the vintage drum comunity regarding sanding down the inside of the shell? Is that a big no no?
To get rid of all the dirt and chicken menoure that has settled on the inside of the shell, i really don't se any other way past sanding it down. At least partly, trying to conserve the stamp.
This is by no means a collectors drum, The plating on the lugs are bubbling like crazy, and i don't think i Will spend the extra 200 dollars on 16 lugs in better condition. But it would still be Nice to get her into playable and close to orginal condition.

Thanks
T

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Leave interior as is..maybe leave one of those Sanitizer 'bombs' in there for a while...

That snare looks Lovely!!!
If you're into Leedy..
O didn't see the Rips; still nice

ToBBa

Reaction score
Leave the interior as is, it should have a stamp date inside? All of mine have had one.
Hey, Thanks for your reply.
I can't find any date stamp on the shell.
If I am to leave the interior as is, i will have to play with a gassmask haha, since the smell is so strong.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So you have true mojo....Put a Cedar Closet stink Bomb thingy in it tape it to the inside

ToBBa

Reaction score
Haha good sugestions guys, but i still i don't think that will cure the problem in the long run.
But the concensus here seems to be to not sand the interior.
So is there any other way to clean a Shell with out damaging it? I'm really hesitant to get close to such an old Shell with any kind of moisture.

ToBBa

Reaction score
O didn't see the Rips; still nice
Yeah, The wrap is toast, so a re-wrap is coming up.
IMG_20200621_133347.jpg

So would be Nice to know if the .020 stamp indicates the wrap color since that then only leaves me with one color option if i want to try to keep it as close to original as possible.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mike Curotto might have insight into this. Also, Mr. Cooper (?).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two broadway standards. They are great snares One is like yours with a bdp finish. I believe it is 1952. Oops it’s actually a Leedy and Ludwig. The other is an earlier leedy 5 or 5.5. That one is refinished which is what I would do with yours. I dont see the value in putting wrap back on that shell. The maple will look great refinished.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
moth balls...couldn't think of the word..
No. Do not put mothballs in the drum.
That is rediculous. Instead of just smelling like sheeet, it will smell like a sheeet and mothball combo. Which, in my experience, is even worse.

Have you tried cleaning the interior with anything?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the drum is already so damaged and unoriginal, why not do whatever you want to it? I say, sand away! There is really no reason not to. You should do whatever you have/want to to make it sound great again.
I agree about not wrapping it. If the grain is ugly or something you could put a nice, dark stain on it, that could be cool.
I'm jealous of your drum. It looks like a fun project. Be sure to keep us posted.

ToBBa

Reaction score
If the drum is already so damaged and unoriginal, why not do whatever you want to it? I say, sand away! There is really no reason not to. You should do whatever you have/want to to make it sound great again.
I agree about not wrapping it. If the grain is ugly or something you could put a nice, dark stain on it, that could be cool.
I'm jealous of your drum. It looks like a fun project. Be sure to keep us posted.
Thanks.
The drum is all original except the wires, a Ludwig head and a Un-branded calf head. And it's not broken except the cracked wrap and the bad smell.
All metal parts work fine, edges are solid, No de-lamination etc.
Re-wrap is Deffo happening since that is what it originally had and i'm trying to keep it fairly original looking.

Still wondering about the. 020 stamp, and if any one knows an aprox date? I'm thinking 40-41?

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
What’s odd about this drum is that if it was a factory wrapped drum the inside would be painted white.Only factory painted drums on the outside had natural interiors.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What’s odd about this drum is that if it was a factory wrapped drum the inside would be painted white.Only factory painted drums on the outside had natural interiors.
Agree, but I have found some anomalies. Even late 20's Leedy snares were typically painted interior with wraps, but I have two wrapped ones that are natural inside from then. I also have a WMP Broadway 1941 with this same badge that is natural maple interior.

This drum should be right before WWII/1941 if memory serves correct based on this badge variation.