Rescuing and pimping out my Leedy Broadway.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would definitely not sand the inside. Clean well with a bit of soap and water, let dry thoroughly and finish with Howard’s Feed n Wax. Has orange oil in it and will take care of the smell... I think.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Agree, but I have found some anomalies. Even late 20's Leedy snares were typically painted interior with wraps, but I have two wrapped ones that are natural inside from then. I also have a WMP Broadway 1941 with this same badge that is natural maple interior.

This drum should be right before WWII/1941 if memory serves correct based on this badge variation.
Thanks for giving an aprox date, i really apreciate it.
If you don't mind me asking, does your wmp snare from ca the same timeframe also have a stamp on the inside indicating the finish?

To all the others that have replied:
Thank you guys. It looks like the concensus here is to leave the interior alone and only do some carefull cleaning to try to get rid of the smell.
I Will do so and let you guys know how it went.
Thanks

ToBBa

Reaction score
So i have now cleaned the inside with a soap solution. Pine-sol is not available here in Norway so i used a similar Norwegian product.
Had to go over it 3 times before it was free from any dirt.
Still smells a little but not noticeable if you don't stick your head into the shell.

Also New wrap is on, now i only have to do som light touch up on the edges to get it all straight and smooth.
I'm also playing with the idea to add som sort of full dress Diamonds to it. I love the full dress designs.
I know it's not original to the drum but since this is a player grade drum with re-wrap and all i don't see any harm in it.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So i have now cleaned the inside with a soap solution. Pine-sol is not available here in Norway so i used a similar Norwegian product.
Had to go over it 3 times before it was free from any dirt.
Still smells a little but not noticeable if you don't stick your head into the shell.

Also New wrap is on, now i only have to do som light touch up on the edges to get it all straight and smooth.
I'm also playing with the idea to add som sort of full dress Diamonds to it. I love the full dress designs.
I know it's not original to the drum but since this is a player grade drum with re-wrap and all i don't see any harm in it.

Wow! It looks great so far. Nice work. Is the smell gone?

Where did you get that cool rolling stand thingy? What is it?

ToBBa

Reaction score
No harm at all with trying something different with the rewrap.
Yeah, and i mean it's not like it's all fantasy. This pattern of full dress is in the 41 leedy catalog so it's not entirely un-realistic
Even tho i don't think i have ever seen a leedy with Beavertails with full dress, it's mostly the earlier Broadway with the x lug and earlier snares.

Any one have a pic if a Beavertail Broadway with full dress?

Screenshot_20200704_082333.jpg

Wow! It looks great so far. Nice work. Is the smell gone?

Where did you get that cool rolling stand thingy? What is it?
Thanks!
Yes the smell is nearly gone, you have to get real close to still smell some thing.

The rollers are Just two regular rollers from a roller stand that is bolted to a piece of wood that us bolted to my work bench.
Very neat stand for applying wood dye, Oil, varnishes and such.

ToBBa

Reaction score
It's coming together.
IMG_20200714_010628.jpg

Standard heads was a little tight, felt like a real tight Gretsch if you know what i mean? So i had to order some Remo classic fit.
Is it normal for theese old leedy snares to be over sized? Since they back in the day were advertised as ''floating head'' undersized.
I always thougt that Gretsch were the only ones that were a bit oversized.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks great! The new wrap may be thicker. Leedy shells are usually not oversized in my experience.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Finaly got the new heads. They went on like a glove.
Finaly finished. As a player grade drum with out investing in any new parts exept heads, i'm quite happy with the result.

Most of you may find it a little over the top with the full dress ornamentation but as a player grade saved from the bin i think the rules should be a little less strict on what you can and can't do.
The last thing i have to do is to go over the edges of the full dress shapes with a tiny black sharpie to hide the white wrap backing.
The drum it self sounds tremendous.
I have a lot of upper tier snares, steambent 1plys, stave, fanzy brass and alu stuff etc. This one is easily upp there. Nice woody tone with a Great rounded attack.
I set her up with extended wires of course which really helps on the sensitivity.
IMG_20200803_225642.jpg

IMG_20200803_225826.jpg
IMG_20200803_225912.jpg

IMG_20200803_230031.jpg

ToBBa

Reaction score
Nice! Love it. Did the smell come back?
Thanks
As i live in Norway i don't have accsess to the same products you US guys have.
I ended up massaging the inside with some thing called green soap which is a Norwegian version of pine sol that has a bit lin seed oil, pine resin and citrus oil in it.
After that i used a damp cloth and viped off all the dirt.
Now it smells quite Nice actually.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
.020" is the approximate thickness of that wrap. "Pearl" was a generic term for laminate wraps at that point (sparkles were often "sparkling pearl," or "white marine/black pearl," etc.

So I bet that shell was appropriately sized to fit heads and hardware correctly with a .020" thick wrap on it.

Beautiful drums. I dig the full dress job you did. I have a 1948 Leedy 6.5x15" that's one of my favorite wood drums. There's something extra chunky and dry about these drums that records stunningly. Enjoy!

Latest posts