header.nohb.html

Reso style -regulator Vs PS3

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many bass drum resos typically have a dampening control ring on the edge of the head ala "powerstroke" style.

The Aquarian regulator series features a smaller muffling ring placed in the centre of the head.

Just wondering how that changes the sound and if has anyone compared both ?

I would have thought the Aquarian would kill the fundamental note a little more.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Regulator now as my logo head, but I prefer the Evans EQ3 reso as I feel it allows more tone. The Regulator isn't dead, but it is a more controlled sound. I use some internal muffling when mic'ed anyway, so consider how you're using it and the sound you want.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t like using the regulators as resos, unless I’m playing fast metal and need a thump that goes away immediately.

I use Aquarian Force II for the bass reso, and a Force I for the batter, the only difference is that the II is coated on the inside, and the I is clear.

Powerstroke style heads, but I like them better.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Superkick 1 and a Regulator on my brother in law's Yamaha Stage Custom, and it sounds like there is a blanket in the bass drum. It's pretty short with very little sustain. That's the sound he wanted, so it works for him.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using a non-ported Regulator on my 26, with a clear black dot PS3 on the batter. That combo on a drum that size still has some boom, but it allows me to run full heads and not deal with any laundry in the drum. I went with it specifically for playing unmic'd, but I did mic it for a gig recently and it sounded great with a nice short punch mic'd right off the head in the middle of the ring.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
In my drum room right now I have a set with Remo PS3 and Ambassador front, a set with EMAD and EQ front, and a set with SK1 and Regulator. Both the Evans and the Aquarian sound good to me. While the drums are different sizes, and different drums may sound best with different heads, I don't have a problem using either head setup.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Evans "Remad" reso head features a smaller 4" port hole which sounds ideal for smaller bass drums.

Anyone compared it to the PS3 or Regulator ?

tapotti

Reaction score
I was using emad/eq3 combo for a while.

Switched to the superkick 1/regulator combo recently. I dig the sound. No extra muffling need inside the drum. Sound guy loves it. I also found it easier to tune.

I guess it's analogous to the audix d6 mic. Pre EQ sound, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using emad/eq3 combo for a while.

Switched to the superkick 1/regulator combo recently. I dig the sound. No extra muffling need inside the drum. Sound guy loves it. I also found it easier to tune.

I guess it's analogous to the audix d6 mic. Pre EQ sound, but not everyone's cup of tea.

That's really what I like about these heads, AND the D6. I mean, I don't really prefer the D6, but the places I play, I have no time to mess with anything. I just need to roll up, unload, quick sound check, and go.