Restoration or rehabilitation; Recording Customs

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have assembled a seven piece RC kit that is in need of a fair amount of refurbishment, meaning a repaint is going to be necessary. Since a repaint often diminishes the value of a kit, I'm giving some thought to using a non-factory color instead of attempting to replicate the original. I'm not likely to sell the kit when finished, but at my age, i need to at least consider the estate value.

Opinions accepted without bias or pre-conception...

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion, turn it into something unique that brings you personal joy and satisfaction. It's not original no matter what you do once you restore it.

Barden

Reaction score
What's the finish now? Are you having to remove lacquer and stain? Do you plan on using chemicals or abrasives to remove?

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's the finish now? Are you having to remove lacquer and stain? Do you plan on using chemicals or abrasives to remove?

Finish is lacquer; not all drums currently match (mostly due to fade/age), some will require minor fill to level dents, etc. All will be lightly sanded, primed (re-primed as needed) before a complete respray.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My opinion, turn it into something unique that brings you personal joy and satisfaction. It's not original no matter what you do once you restore it.
Your reply is valid & typical of what I expected. And as you state, once it's restored, value is likely diminished in any case..

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This would be an easy choice for me: I'd cover them in White Marine Pearl. Or some other cover. When I had my Recording Customs, I always wondered how they would look in WMP.

GeedeeEmm

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This would be an easy choice for me: I'd cover them in White Marine Pearl. Or some other cover. When I had my Recording Customs, I always wondered how they would look in WMP.

GeedeeEmm
I recall seeing Russ Kunkle playing a Recording Custom wrapped in WMP back in the day.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I'm a fan of making drums work for the player, and a fan of making orphans into nice kits. So if they're imperfect but you could make a really great INSTRUMENT that you love out of the pile of drums, I say go for it!

To me, RCs scream solid lacquer finishes: white, yellow, black, red, quartz grey. I'd do the prep work at home and then have an auto body shop do the paint and a clear coat to nail the high-gloss 80s vibe. Find your shop and go through their color catalog... I'm sure you'll find something you really like. In addition to the original colors (I'm a BIG sucker for quartz grey), I can think of a lot of car colors that would look really nice on an RC kit: that champagne mist kinda color with some metalflake you see around a lot, British Racing Green, 90s Toyota Camry tan (call me crazy but I think that could look incredible), the soft gold of my grandfather-in-law's Cadillac, the light blue Honda was using recently (a friend who has a CRV in it refers to it as "retirement blue" :) ). Go knock yourself out. Deep colors are always a safe bet, but since RCs have such distinctive hardware that takes up a lot of real estate, I could totally see something a little "softer" looking very elegant.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Dang, this has got me thinking. I've wanted a set of RCs for ages and have a close friend who owns an auto paint shop. I might have to start collecting orphans! Or maybe just send my Pearl FG concert tom kit over, it's already been refinished and is due for a refresh...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have refinished a few kits in wood now - vintage "Jazzette" kit from plastic-chrome wrap to natural mahogany, and now doing and almost done with a Gretsch to amber shellac (aka Charlie Watts tribute). I am a big fan of that. My next project is a silver kit (finally!) and it's a Rogers (finally!) with 12 and 20, but the FT needs wrap and so does the snare. I will do the wrap there because I want silver, but I really dig the wood look.

As for your kit, it depends on the color/wrap you want (Duh!), if you have the ability to refinish or rewrap, your other drums (I think - I don't have any wooden ones in my collection except the 2 above ones), and your budget. I am a fan of assembling orphans to make kits - no issue there. Yes, you will lose resale value but if you are going to keep them, go for any color you desire! Just post pic of your refinish process, good luck and have fun!!!

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the reasoned comments & suggestions. I have all the drums stripped of hardware, will probably spend the winter doing the repair & prep work, have them painted in the spring - gives my plenty of time to consider colors...