Restoring 70s Ludwig Marching Snare

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the thread but long time reader.

I bought a 70s Aluminum Ludwig Marching Snare 15"x12". I'm going to be using it as the snare on my kit.

It has both rims and an internal muffler. It doesn't have the heads, snare wires, throw mechanism, lugs, or tension rods.

Does anyone have any experience restoring these old marching snares or any words on what to look out for?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which lugs should it have? A lot of the drums in that era used the Mach lugs. They might be hard to find. Which throw off? Could have been a P87, but for drum set use a P85 might be more practical.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
We need to see pics. It's probably a P85 not P87, but I have both. I agree go P85 even if not. Are you sure it's not COS and it's aluminum?

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Hey everyone, apologies for the late response.

Attached are photos of the drum. It doesn't have a throw so I'm going to have to put one on there. As for the lugs and tension rods - not quite sure on those either. I have to look into what sizes they are and try and source some spares.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That drums has a bunch of the stuff that you said it didn't?
Looks like a throw and butt, wires, a bottom hoop, and new heads should get that old gal going.

I don't think Ludwig made aluminum marching drums? Could be wrong, but I've never seen one. That's probably steel. Do a magnet test.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Hey! Yeah, sorry about that - the head is basically crapped out and gotta replace it.

Some of the lugs are stripped so yeah, I'm basically going to replace them and figured I'd do the same with the tension rods.

As for the shell itself, its definitely not stainless steel. No magnet sticks to it, so it's either a special type of S.S. or aluminum or Chrome over Brass.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks like it could have originally had a Super Sensitive throwoff.
There isn't any need to replace the lugs, the swivel nuts are what are stripped. Remove one of the lugs and you'll be able to get to the swivel nuts - there's one at each end.
Here's your drum from the 1971 catalog:

Attachments

Ajbambino

Reaction score
That looks like it could have originally had a Super Sensitive throwoff.
There isn't any need to replace the lugs, the swivel nuts are what are stripped. Remove one of the lugs and you'll be able to get to the swivel nuts - there's one at each end.
Here's your drum from the 1971 catalog:
Ahhhhh this is soooo awesome!!! Thank you!!!