Return of the Professor

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
so what is the story behind that picture? It looks to be real, not a photoshop. It has the stand tubes attached to the riser and it appears to be mic'd.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing that DW did a reissue of his Chromo-O-Wood Slingerlands from the 2112 album / tour, for the upcoming Rush tour, which may be their last.

chappy

Reaction score
That, my friends, is funny. I am stoked as I have tickets to see the boys in Columbus.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
But he didn't play the blakrome Slingerlands on 2112.

Still cool !

DrumSmith

Reaction score
BeaTniK said:

Still cool !
You sure about that? What DID he play? I thought the cherry-wood stained Slings came later.

If that picture is real, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Is that something he would do? I mean the drums are great, but the caricature is not in character.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
2112 Slingerlands were the chrome drums with copper concert tom mix, blakrome was A Farewell to Kings and Hemisperes.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They were chrome finish. The blackrome were after 2112, for Hemispheres, I believe. The chrome comes off as looking blackrome, though, in the stage shots.

fishmouth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha! Funny. Weird when you look up close, the drums/hardware don't look right. But cool nonetheless paying tribute to the early days. Crazy it could be the last tour.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
rds2112 said:

Still cool !
You sure about that? What DID he play? I thought the cherry-wood stained Slings came later.

If that picture is real, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Is that something he would do? I mean the drums are great, but the caricature is not in character.
I see this just the opposite as completely in character. They have consistently poked fun at themselves. The concert intro with Neil as the Irish cop and the kid band RASH? The extended scene with Paul Rudd from I Love You Man. Geddy's various vending machine, washing machine, sausage maker, set ups. All the way back to Bob and Doug's "Take Off", these guys have shown a great sense of humor and the ability to laugh at themselves. I think this pic is perfect, and disturbing, definitely disturbing... Lol

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, When I was a teen, Rush was largely thought of as 3 guys who took their music very seriously, and took themselves very seriously. Bingo on the former; not so much on the latter. I still remember being surprised when they did funny stuff, though - Geddy with "Take Off," Alex making a funny pose with his guitars inside a tour booklet, Neil coming up with "Busheads & Truckfaces". As they 80s progressed, so did their humor. The funny videos they did on the last tour cracked me up; especially Alex.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've known about this kit for quite awhile. First time I've seen it. It's especially nice seeing Neil funning around, laughing at his own past. I look forward to this tour, sad that it is their last, but I'll bet they pull out all the stops.