Returning some love to Drum Center Of Portsmouth

cafunko

Reaction score
We are in the midst of some difficult times. I'm fortunate enough to be in the food industry so I'm beyond busy and I realize that there are many others that are struggling.

Over the years, I've had many great things happen because of DCP. I was an employee and have done all my business with them since that time. I've had dinner/beers with some of my drumming heroes and other world class players. I won a Noble & Cooley Prototype snare at an anniversary party. They have partnered with me for some of my artist agreements and continue to do so. I've made many friends and business contacts through the shop that wouldn't have happened otherwise. I can go to the shop and experience drums, cymbals, and snares that I never would have seen or played. I've attended countless clinics and events here. Most importantly, I consider everyone at the shop to be a friend.

I purchased a new kit today not because I need them but because independent drum shops need our support. It may not be DCP for you but I urge anyone that is able to do the same with the shop of your choice. Think about all the things your shop has done for you - they may not have seemed important at the time but without the shop these things never would have happened. Maybe there is a piece of gear you've had your eye on. If you are able to, now is the time to make the purchase.

For those that are wondering, I purchased a Pearl MCT finished in a gorgeous Red Burst Stripe finish. Please don't make this about brands and opinions, it's about returning some love to our independent shops when they need it.

To Shane, Tony, Jeremy, Adam, Tom, Barrett, Nate, Hailey and the rest of the crew: you all rock. Thank you.

20200404_140612.jpg

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in Iceland and I have purchased many times from them, including two drumkits and lots of smaller things. Not once has anything gone wrong; on the contrary they have gone out of their way to fulfill my needs; ordered special parts etc. They have always delivered. Shane was here in Iceland a few years back and I took him sightseeing and for dinner. He’s a stand up guy, passion driven and loves what he does. DCP is always the first place I check if I need anything and usually I need look no further. They’ve got my business for years to come.

kromerser

Reaction score
Tony at DCP has helped me more times that I could count for many years. From coordinating with a manufacturer to replace a bass drum that was damaged in transit to exchanging a cymbal that was not what I wanted soundwise. Heck, I was stationed overseas and he still took care of me by shipping items to my military PO Box when other sellers refused to. Thanks Tony and DCP!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DCP is an amazing store, and everyone I have met there is super nice and helpful. That drum set is gorgeous Cafunko!

cafunko

Reaction score
I have more gear ( and no gig) than I know what to do with. I applaud your efforts but I an't buying squat. I'm getting take out tho, and tipping more than ever.
I get it... I went from a solid 8 gigs a month and session work to nothing. Everything I had booked has been cancelled through early June so far but at least I know I'll get to enjoy these drums once we're past this. Cheers for helping ANY small business, I have friends that own restaurants that are trying to make ends meet in any way they can.

J

jaymandude

I get it... I went from a solid 8 gigs a month and session work to nothing. Everything I had booked has been cancelled through early June so far but at least I know I'll get to enjoy these drums once we're past this. Cheers for helping ANY small business, I have friends that own restaurants that are trying to make ends meet in any way they can.
I play full time, as do all of my friends. I'm ok, I have some savings and live very frugally with no family. many of my peers are not as fortunate

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We are in the midst of some difficult times. I'm fortunate enough to be in the food industry so I'm beyond busy and I realize that there are many others that are struggling.

Over the years, I've had many great things happen because of DCP. I was an employee and have done all my business with them since that time. I've had dinner/beers with some of my drumming heroes and other world class players. I won a Noble & Cooley Prototype snare at an anniversary party. They have partnered with me for some of my artist agreements and continue to do so. I've made many friends and business contacts through the shop that wouldn't have happened otherwise. I can go to the shop and experience drums, cymbals, and snares that I never would have seen or played. I've attended countless clinics and events here. Most importantly, I consider everyone at the shop to be a friend.

I purchased a new kit today not because I need them but because independent drum shops need our support. It may not be DCP for you but I urge anyone that is able to do the same with the shop of your choice. Think about all the things your shop has done for you - they may not have seemed important at the time but without the shop these things never would have happened. Maybe there is a piece of gear you've had your eye on. If you are able to, now is the time to make the purchase.

For those that are wondering, I purchased a Pearl MCT finished in a gorgeous Red Burst Stripe finish. Please don't make this about brands and opinions, it's about returning some love to our independent shops when they need it.

To Shane, Tony, Jeremy, Adam, Tom, Barrett, Nate, Hailey and the rest of the crew: you all rock. Thank you.

View attachment 433870
Excellent post, Michael. Well said buddy. I’ve known Shane since 2004, going back before he opened DCP, and besides being hilarious, he’s a great and thoughtful guy. All the guys at the shop are awesome.

The last time I shopped there, I was meeting Ronn Dunnett there to shoot a photo for his book, and I ended up buying a DW snare drum and an 18” Zildjian China. Shane personally waited on me and basically pulled out every China cymbal from every brand in his inventory for me to choose from. I buy a lot of stuff mail order from DCP and it’s always a pleasant experience.

If I buy another kit, I’ll be sleeping on your couch and believe me, you don’t want that. But I will be texting Shane today to order a bunch of accessories, including a few sets of Canopus Vintage wire snares. It feels good to support an independent shop

I look forward to seeing you when this is behind us. I definitely want to have you work your magic on my Slingerland Artist snare.

Be safe everyone.

cafunko

Reaction score
Excellent post, Michael. Well said buddy. I’ve known Shane since 2004, going back before he opened DCP, and besides being hilarious, he’s a great and thoughtful guy. All the guys at the shop are awesome.

The last time I shopped there, I was meeting Ronn Dunnett there to shoot a photo for his book, and I ended up buying a DW snare drum and an 18” Zildjian China. Shane personally waited on me and basically pulled out every China cymbal from every brand in his inventory for me to choose from. I buy a lot of stuff mail order from DCP and it’s always a pleasant experience.

If I buy another kit, I’ll be sleeping on your couch and believe me, you don’t want that. But I will be texting Shane today to order a bunch of accessories, including a few sets of Canopus Vintage wire snares. It feels good to support an independent shop

I look forward to seeing you when this is behind us. I definitely want to have you work your magic on my Slingerland Artist snare.

Be safe everyone.
Don't get in trouble.... but if you do, you can blame me! I'll see you when we're on the other side of this, hopefully at one of your gigs. You be safe and stay healthy too.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit Michael! So great to have DCP as our "local" drum shop. How's that N&C prototype treating you?

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I have made a yearly pilgrimage to DCP when I go to my yearly Maine vacation since Shane was at his original location . He an Tony have nothing been so nice and provided superb service . I always made sure to make a nice purchase each time I went there . The inventory is astounding and the service is superb .

cafunko

Reaction score
Beautiful kit Michael! So great to have DCP as our "local" drum shop. How's that N&C prototype treating you?
The snare is fantastic. It excels for me at low/mid volume gigs, really warm and controlled sound with a great cross stick sound. :)

Latest posts