Returning used cymbals to Guitar Center

firefirehead

Reaction score
So, I took a chance and bought a used 19"K Medium-Thin dark that matches my 17. I had it shipped to my house. It arrived yesterday and I eagerly opened the package and inspected it. Nothing stood out, tiny bit of edge rash on one side but I could live with that. I set it up and hit it... deader than a door nail. I immediately inspected closer for cracks and located one just above the stamp. Imagine my disappointment! The cymbal was listed as in good condition, but now in my order history it shows no details of the item like my previous orders. Pictures are gone and everything. Seems fishy to me. I'm going to attempt to return it to a local store today and hope they don't give me any flack.

Has anyone experienced this with GC?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just take it to your local Guitar Center and they will refund and ship it back. They'll take it back if you don't like how it sounds, so your situation is a no brainer for a return. Plus, if for some strange reason there is no record of it, get your bank involved. You get an email confirmation when you placed the order, show that. You have nothing to stress out about in my opinion.

Drumusic

Reaction score
I've had a couple of mishaps with G.C. on past on-line orders. I've always kept information as to store purchased from (G.C.), item # or whatever they call it, and price. I'd call the original store to see if they have any record of shipping it out to you, which they should.....maybe find the shipper (UPS, FedEx, USPS) and get their information. If you take it into your local G.C., they will be clueless and you might be able to get them to search via computer for some record of it there, as well. Good luck.

blownaway

Reaction score
Documentation is important so at least print of email order confirmation. I would also bring the cymbal in the box it was shipped in. Your reason to return is that it wasnt the sound you were looking for (no need to mention crack). You should be fine.

spctomlin

Reaction score
I ordered a vintage Tama Superstar kit from them that was described as being in excellent condition. I even called the store and asked an employee in the drum department to check the bearing edges for me. I was told that they were just a little scratched up on the outer shell but everything else looked good. Imagine my surprise and disappoint when I found all the drums except the bass drum had mild to severe ply separation. I took them to the local GC and they took them right back, no questions asked and I got a full refund.

firefirehead

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've printed the order details and will just tell them I don't like the way it sounds.

firefirehead

Reaction score
My concern with that is that they might argue that they don't know if I caused the damage or it arrived that way. I'm ok with the small loss just to get the majority of my money back.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
I've had more than a few issues with Guitar Center, but I've never had any trouble with returning a broken item, used or otherwise.

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I returned a cymbal recently to them and it was easy with no hassle at all. My issue was an online order listing it as the wrong size so they paid the shipping back. Unfortunately their descriptions and photos are very lacking on used equipment. It's a gamble unless you call and talk to the specific store. I can't imagine it would be an issue if it wasn't as described with a crack.

firefirehead

Reaction score
Just an update. I got my money back. He didn't agree that it sounded dead and "kinda liked it." I'm happy. I don't know that I will risk it again though.

blownaway

Reaction score
Sounds like you did the right thing.

FWIW, some on-line sources allows returns on NEW cymbals after several weeks of use as long as you pay for return shipping.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I've had this happen to me with GC before too (shocker). Called up the store that sold it and told them they sent me a damaged cymbal. They gave me a full refund and let me keep the cracked cymbal. That's what I would do and see what happens. They won't sell damaged used gear intentionally.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you have a local GC, why not have them ship an item you purchase online to the local store. You inspect it, play it there....and walk away if you don't like it? Sam Ash has done this for me before w no issues or extra fees.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
michiganice91 said:
I've had this happen to me with GC before too (shocker). Called up the store that sold it and told them they sent me a damaged cymbal. They gave me a full refund and let me keep the cracked cymbal. That's what I would do and see what happens. They won't sell damaged used gear intentionally.
Eh, I'm not so sure about this. I ordered a pair of 15" Dimensions crunch hats from out of state, and when they arrived the top cymbal looked like it had been run over by a truck and then backed over again to make sure it was dead. They were listed as being in good/great shape! I returned them to one of my local GC's and they took them back. However, the next day they were back up for sale on their site STILL listed as being in good/great shape!

Burps

Reaction score
I returned a used cymbal to Guitar Center that I bought online from out of state that was not the cymbal they specified. They took it back with a full refund no problem.

I decided recently to make unboxing videos whenever I order something online now. I like having the video as backup to share if there is any doubt about why I am returning something. Hopefully, I will never need to show one.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I returned a pair of 15" Paiste Trad Medium Light Hats, told them condition was not as described. The were bent and chipped and sounded terrible. Back on the site a day later, now my local store is selling them.

michiganice91

Reaction score
mgdrummer said:
Eh, I'm not so sure about this. I ordered a pair of 15" Dimensions crunch hats from out of state, and when they arrived the top cymbal looked like it had been run over by a truck and then backed over again to make sure it was dead. They were listed as being in good/great shape! I returned them to one of my local GC's and they took them back. However, the next day they were back up for sale on their site STILL listed as being in good/great shape!
Okay how about They won't sell damaged gear intentionally AND GET AWAY WITH IT WITH DRUMMERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE BUYING. LOL

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
As far as regular used items go, its hard to blame it all on the individual stores. I can't remember the last time I spoke with an actual drum department employee. It seems like most of the drum departments are being run by whomever is at the shop that day. It would be hard for a guitarist to spot a small crack in a cymbal. However, when items are returned for breakages/flaws, it would seem prudent for the stores (or even the website) to automatically update the item as being flawed. I'd have to believe it would be easy to program that in to the software. Or, at least have the manager have to sign off on inspecting the item. I mean, it's quite possible that the item would be brought into the store in great condition, only to be broken while on display, and then be sold online without any further inspection.

Latest posts