header.nohb.html

Reunited Pantera Announce Drummer and Guitarist Joining Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m torn. I want to go, because I never got the chance to see Pantera, but I still won’t consider myself to have seen Pantera afterward.

I do hope Phils voice is in better shape than when I saw Superjoint Ritual shortly after Pantera’s demise.

I am confident that Charlie will be just as good as he has been every time I’ve seen Anthrax
See them because you enjoy the music.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands and I’ve had mixed feelings about this because there is no Pantera without Vinnie and Dime. I think Zakk is probably the best fit for guitar but not sure about Charlie on drums. Interested to see how this unfolds.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands and I’ve had mixed feelings about this because there is no Pantera without Vinnie and Dime. I think Zakk is probably the best fit for guitar but not sure about Charlie on drums. Interested to see how this unfolds.

That's the opposite take from most people, I think. I'm confident that Charlie is going to do his due diligence to accurately emulate Vinnie. I don't expect as much from Zakk.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
That's the opposite take from most people, I think. I'm confident that Charlie is going to do his due diligence to accurately emulate Vinnie. I don't expect as much from Zakk.

I’m not the biggest Zakk fan so I can’t say for sure whether he’ll be the best, but I figured with him doing as many tribute acts in his career, he’d be at least in the running. I really can’t think of one guitar player that could carry that weight by themselves.

I just hope that they’re able to pull it off, no matter who is playing. The legacy of the band is massive and it would be a shame if that was damaged somehow. When Phil and the Illegals did the Pantera tribute during the pandemic, it sounded terrible.

I know someone that was close to the Abbots and they told me that before Vinnie passed, Phil had played a couple Pantera songs and wanted to do a Pantera tribute tour and Vinnie sent a cease and desist and threatened to sue Him. At the time, VP, Dime, and Phil were credited as the writers and owners of “Pantera” and the accompanying rights for the music, but when Vinnie passed it left Phil as the only surviving writer/owner and allowed him to basically do whatever he wanted. It makes me wonder what changed and why Vinnie and Dime’s estates gave the okay.

Last edited:

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Zakk live once when he filled in for Dickey Betts on a few Allman Brothers Band gigs. Twas' way cool to see him in a jam band playing with Warren Haynes and bring a whole new shred angle to those tunes. I do not begrudge any musicians for doing what it takes to earn a living and put food on their table. Whether that is reunion tours, Vegas residencies, licensing for advertising or T-shirts at Target. This whole "tarnish the legacy" is not true from my perspective. Professional musicians play, play for joy, money and/or even the traveling minstrel lifestyle that accompanies it. I was a weekend warrior cover band player for many years and still get the jones to play live (which I still do 1-2x a year). I can't imagine what the pull must feel like for national level acts past their heyday - even with lost members.

I relayed the story on this forum of being on a business trip in Montgomery, AL and going to see REO Speedwagon when they happened to be playing in my hotel ballroom on a Tuesday night. It raised my eyebrow as this was a multi-platinum arena level headliner for many years in its prime. It was a bit "Spinal Tap"-ish when the digital tv board in the lobby was alternately flashing "Free Happy Hour Buffet -- REO Speedwagon." I remember Kevin Cronin saying during the show -- (paraphrasing) "I love to play live, I'd play in a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot for people if that was the gig, I'm a musician -- what the **** else am I going to do." That really flipped my head on the dinosaur bands continuing to play live rhetoric - with or without new members.

In the age of streaming -- where artists get .0003 cents or less per stream -- playing live, licensing and merchandise is among the many things musicians need to do to hustle a living. Layer on 2 years of live music shut down and musicians are really hurting. Good on the surviving members of Pantera, Zakk and Charlie for doing what they love, continuing to ply their trade craft, bringing people joy and getting paid. Cheers!

Last edited:

MitchLyons

Reaction score
I saw Zakk live once when he filled in for Dickey Betts on a few Allman Brothers Band gigs. Twas' way cool to see him in a jam band playing with Warren Haynes and bring a whole new shred angle to those tunes. I do not begrudge any musicians for doing what it takes to earn a living and put food on their table. Whether that is reunion tours, Vegas residencies, licensing for advertising or T-shirts at Target. This whole "tarnish the legacy" is not true from my perspective. Professional musicians play, play for joy, money and/or even the traveling minstrel lifestyle that accompanies it. I was a weekend warrior cover band player for many years and still get the jones to play live (which I still do 1-2x a year). I can't imagine what the pull must feel like for national level acts past their heyday - even with lost members.

I relayed the story on this forum of being on a business trip in Montgomery, AL and going to see REO Speedwagon when they happened to be playing in my hotel ballroom on a Tuesday night. It raised my eyebrow as this was a multi-platinum arena level headliner for many years in its prime. It was a bit "Spinal Tap"-ish when the digital tv board in the lobby was alternately flashing "Free Happy Hour Buffet -- REO Speedwagon." I remember Kevin Cronin saying during the show -- (paraphrasing) "I love to play live, I'd play in a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot for people if that was the gig, I'm a musician -- what the **** else am I going to do." That really flipped my head on the dinosaur bands continuing to play live rhetoric - with or without new members.

In the age of streaming -- where artists get .0003 cents or less per stream -- playing live, licensing and merchandise is among the many things musicians need to do to hustle a living. Layer on 2 years of live music shut down and musicians are really hurting. Good on the surviving members of Pantera, Zakk and Charlie for doing what they love, continuing to ply their trade craft, bringing people joy and getting paid. Cheers!

I’m picking up what you’re putting down, but I don’t think that Phil, Rex, Zakk, and Charlie are hurting for the money. I’m sure this tour will be a massive financial gain, but part of the issue is that the band would never have existed without the two brothers who have left us. Just doesn’t seem right to me, but what do I know?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....but I don’t think that Phil, Rex, Zakk, and Charlie are hurting for the money.
I think you would be surprised about how much members of signed national level touring acts like Pantera and Anthrax actually made even in their heyday. Zakk has largely been a hired hand throughout his career. There are a couple of threads on this topic on this forum with some national touring drummers - including some veterans of very large scale football stadium level Country and Rock artist tours - chiming in on what they made. It is not "set for life" money.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised about how much members of signed national level touring acts like Pantera and Anthrax actually made even in their heyday. Zakk has largely been a hired hand throughout his career. There are a couple of threads on this topic on this forum with some national touring drummers - including some veterans of very large scale football stadium level Country and Rock artist tours - chiming in on what they made. It is not "set for life" money.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Sharon screwed Zakk over all those years with Ozzy. I can't imagine she was able to keep his name off of some of Ozzy's hits though. Charlie was the main writer for Anthrax, IIRC. He's probably doing very well if he managed his money. Phil is doing fine if he wasn't an absolute moron. No telling about Rex. He could probably use some income.

I think Charlie doesn't get enough respect as a drummer and a musician. He's great.

MitchLyons

Reaction score

I’ve done a load of DIY touring over the years and have a few friends who are in national touring acts, both big and small. The income isn’t insanely high (but still very livable) and none of them come close to the level that Pantera was at in their heyday. They could have been set for life if they’d managed their money correctly, but there’s no telling with that group.

This screams “cash grab” to me more every day.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
There’s a recent Eddie Trunk podcast out there where he is interviewing Zakk and Anthrax and he and Charlie talk about it. They are doing it to honor the music for those who are old fans and newer fans that never got to see Pantera. Charlie said if you closed your eyes you will think it’s VP up there.