Reverb Rant!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been eyeing up a snare for over 2 years, had alerts set on the FeeBay and Reverb. Yesterday out of the blue, I see the snare I want at an amazing price, put an offer in and they counter, I accept. Happy as hell to score the drum for this price. I wasn’t prepared to grab a drum right now, especially with the holidays here but opportunity presented itself. Go to pay, and see the transaction canceled. Message the seller and he tells me that it sold in the store before they could grab it for me.

WTF? No message about why it was canceled, and they sell a lot online so I know they know what they’re doing.

End rant.

Attachments

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How much time passed from when you accepted the counter offer and attempted to pay?

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How much time passed from when you accepted the counter offer and attempted to pay?
I tried to pay about 9 this morning, made the deal 4-5 last night. They were super responsive when I made the offer and their counter offer. I assumed someone would have went over and grabbed it after it sold or at least marked it sold in store. I was told that since I didn't pay right away their workers didn't see it in their pending sale list so to them it was available to sell. I dunno, if I was the guy who was working with me on-line, I would've walked over and marked it as sold somehow or at least messaged me to say they have a pending sale in-store and I would have paid right away. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With all the online sales that are slow paid or never paid, I can see them opting to take payment in person if it happened that quickly. Sucks, but if you sell enough online, you probably start to view every sale with skepticism.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I perfectly understand your frustration. I would be miffed, too.

However . . . delaying payment until the next day did you in. I don't think that Reverb had any obligation to hold the snare based on a "pending" sale. You and I both know that in such a large company atmosphere like Reverb, every salesperson is dealing with many, many deals at one time. And the ones that require their immediate attention are those that are Paid In Full and ready for shipment. Pending sales will naturally demand less attention. Think about it: "pending" means "waiting." And waiting means that the sale may or may not happen.

There is a bright spot, though. Unless this snare was the only one of its type ever produced, there will be another one. You'll just have to wait a little longer, that's all. When you find one, pay fast!!!!!!

GeeDeeEmm

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I perfectly understand your frustration. I would be miffed, too.

However . . . delaying payment until the next day did you in. I don't think that Reverb had any obligation to hold the snare based on a "pending" sale. You and I both know that in such a large company atmosphere like Reverb, every salesperson is dealing with many, many deals at one time. And the ones that require their immediate attention are those that are Paid In Full and ready for shipment. Pending sales will naturally demand less attention. Think about it: "pending" means "waiting." And waiting means that the sale may or may not happen.

There is a bright spot, though. Unless this snare was the only one of its type ever produced, there will be another one. You'll just have to wait a little longer, that's all. When you find one, pay fast!!!!!!

GeeDeeEmm
I’m at fault for not paying right away, sure but I’ve never had a situation where I bought something and lost it in such a short period of time. I mean how late could they be open Saturday night that someone came in and bought it. Live and learn. Part of the reason I’m p@ssed is that I got it for almost half the price I’ve seen since I’ve been looking.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had a similar situation with a GC Ebay auction. Had I not called ahead to ask a few questions before I purchased I would’ve been SOL. It’s sold days before my inquiry. I’m not surprised they didn’t pull the auction, guy on the phone was less than knowledgeable about.....anything! The good thing you didn’t have to hassle with getting your money back. Hopefully your drum turns up again soon.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had this happen more than once. "Oops! It sold off the floor!" Really?

So you mean it's impossible to keep track of your stock, and/or simply take the drum off the floor?

I've even had someone send me the wrong drum....while the one I bid on sold in the store, never to be seen again.

Some drum shops are not exactly awash with geniuses.

Dan

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anything I know is a great deal or even too good to be true....I pay within seconds to a couple of minutes. Anything else is inviting disappointment. I've yet to have a drum deal unwound after I paid via PayPal.

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not reverbs fault. It’s the seller.
Not faulting Reverb at all, I shoulda paid right away but circumstances prevented it plus I’ve never had this happen so lesson learned. My first thought was they canceled it because the guy sold it too low to me but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it came online at a great price to you, someone local might have seen the Reverb ad and jumped over to the store. Often one guy works Online Sales, and anther works the sales floor.

Drummers know that Timing is Everything.

Reaction score
Their can be a multitude of reasons that happened. It's always best to pay for your order immediately. That doesn't mean that still wouldn't have happened. A customer who walks into a store with cash in hand will always have priority over a pending order.