REVERB vs EBAY selling: ease of use, fees etc... WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to sell LOTS on ebay back in the day, but got away from it when Reverb came around but now Reverb (after its sale to etsy) is getting kinda squirrely.

Which do you like?

Which one has higher fees?

One thing I like about Reverb is the online interface. I can start an ad there VERY quickly while ebay seems really clumsy.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb is made for, and maintained by musicians.

You really feel this in every way you are on the site.

AlwaysReverb for me in regards to sales. Purchases can be both, depending on what I need.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I used to sell LOTS on ebay back in the day, but got away from it when Reverb came around but now Reverb (after its sale to etsy) is getting kinda squirrely.

Which do you like?

Which one has higher fees?

One thing I like about Reverb is the online interface. I can start an ad there VERY quickly while ebay seems really clumsy.
I’ve been selling, and buying, on reverb since they stated almost. eBay takes a 10% fee for everything except guitars, for which they match reverbs 5% fee.

Not sure why you think reverb is “squirrelly” - other than them raising their fee from 3.5% to 5% - I’ve had zero issues or problems with reverb and reverb policies.

I usually make more $ on reverb compared with selling on DFO. When people buy from me on gearspace or DFO they expect yard sale like prices and want a deal at my expense. Also, when buying outside of reverb, buyers neglect to consider PayPal fees (3%) come out on the sellers side and shipping prices (and insurance) are discounted considerably through reverb, which goes a long way when shipping drums and ride cymbals.

These factors make reverb the best option for drums

YMMV

DrumTransit

Reaction score
There's an instagram handle called "drums_for_sale" where individuals can buy and sell their gear. I don't think there are any fees. They did a "story" this week highlighting how Reverb/Ebay can take 15% or more from the final sale due to fees, bumps, taxes, etc. I agree Reverb is specifically for musicians, but Ebay has a much broader reach. I've sold on each with success, though a few years ago I began to get tired of the time and effort of constant pictures/packaging/trips to UPS to sell some gear, often with larges fees taken out.

There are a few drum stores in my general area, and I plan on bringing some things there to sell or trade sometime soon. I know they'll offer less than I want, but with the bird-in-hand of actually making a deal (vs letting it sit on Reverb for months), the lower amount of money I receive may offset the time spent if I tried to sell everything via Reverb/Ebay. That said, I still will try Reverb if the drum stores' offers are incredibly low.

And of course there are sites like this one, Vintage Drum Forum, etc. where you can get some good deals.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stick with eBay regardless of the negatives. Traffic!! eBay has it, Reverb doesn't!
I list on eBay and within minutes I have views & watchers and the stuff quickly sells. On Reverb, the items just sit!
Along with the massive eBay shipping discounts, it's a win. (I just sold something this week and UPS discount was 38% off normal price). That's been my experience!
LRod

Last edited:

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I list on Reverb since it's free. They also handle the financials including tax. I've not used their shipping label system yet since I'm not confident in my weighing and measuring skills. I've only been burned twice on complete kits so that's on me. Easy to list, easy to maintain, sales and marketing promotions exist or you can create your own. I just listed several items (new lol) with 15% August discounts. I can market as I please.

I will say the fee increase last year had me ticked for a while but everyone is raising prices so it is what it is. My overall experience has been very positive with over 130 shipped items. Everything from a grabber clamp to a full 7 pc TAMA Starclassic drum set.

Since this is all I know, I guess I'm content. I've not used Ebay or Craiglist. I have used Facebook Market place successfully, recently.

Ox Han

Reaction score
There's an instagram handle called "drums_for_sale" where individuals can buy and sell their gear. I don't think there are any fees. They did a "story" this week highlighting how Reverb/Ebay can take 15% or more from the final sale due to fees, bumps, taxes, etc. I agree Reverb is specifically for musicians, but Ebay has a much broader reach. I've sold on each with success, though a few years ago I began to get tired of the time and effort of constant pictures/packaging/trips to UPS to sell some gear, often with larges fees taken out.

There are a few drum stores in my general area, and I plan on bringing some things there to sell or trade sometime soon. I know they'll offer less than I want, but with the bird-in-hand of actually making a deal (vs letting it sit on Reverb for months), the lower amount of money I receive may offset the time spent if I tried to sell everything via Reverb/Ebay. That said, I still will try Reverb if the drum stores' offers are incredibly low.

And of course there are sites like this one, Vintage Drum Forum, etc. where you can get some good deals.
What are you talking about? I don’t think you could be more wrong. As a preferred seller, reverb takes less than 8%. If you aren’t a preferred seller I think reverb still takes less than 8%. eBay and their PayPal processing takes about 12-13%

You’re best avoiding music shops because they need to sell used gear at competitive prices (compete with us on reverb) and still profit from what it cost them to take it off your hands. Guitar Center & Sam Ash are HORRIBLE and offer me about 40-50% of what they sell them for. I only use them for stuff I can’t sell or ship, which is usually acoustic drum sets.

Case in point, I just sold a Paiste 22” 602 ride outside of reverb for $412 all in - covered PayPal’s 3%, shipping & insurance. I think I kept about $360 or so - probably a few bucks more than what I would’ve done on reverb, but really about the same. GC offered me $265 for the same cymbal and Sam ash offered $238. Similar case for [email protected] K custom dark hats. Neither GC not SA got passed $175. I sold them for over $300 and kept about $280.

Sorry to be blunt, but someone needs to correct your misinformation that you set loose on the internet

DrumTransit

Reaction score
What are you talking about? I don’t think you could be more wrong. As a preferred seller, reverb takes less than 8%. If you aren’t a preferred seller I think reverb still takes less than 8%. eBay and their PayPal processing takes about 12-13%

You’re best avoiding music shops because they need to sell used gear at competitive prices (compete with us on reverb) and still profit from what it cost them to take it off your hands. Guitar Center & Sam Ash are HORRIBLE and offer me about 40-50% of what they sell them for. I only use them for stuff I can’t sell or ship, which is usually acoustic drum sets.

Case in point, I just sold a Paiste 22” 602 ride outside of reverb for $412 all in - covered PayPal’s 3%, shipping & insurance. I think I kept about $360 or so - probably a few bucks more than what I would’ve done on reverb, but really about the same. GC offered me $265 for the same cymbal and Sam ash offered $238. Similar case for [email protected] K custom dark hats. Neither GC not SA got passed $175. I sold them for over $300 and kept about $280.

Sorry to be blunt, but someone needs to correct your misinformation that you set loose on the internet
I'm not trying to spread misinformation--I was just restating what I saw this week and mentioning another avenue to sell gear. I think what the Drums for Sale was saying is that you have your base reverb fee. Then, if you aren't in the first page or two on Reverb and you want people to see your listing, you need to do a "bump" which is another 1%-5% fee, and then taxes and higher-than-expected shipping cost can take more away too.

And I agree about GC and SA--I tried to sell to them a few years ago and it was way low. I was talking about selling to the more local mom/pop stores. I've talked to a couple and they've quoted me a fair price. Not great, but not GC-level terrible either.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's easier to list and sell on Facebook marketplace than it is on Ebay and reverb (which are both pretty easy).
Not sure of the listing fee, but it's cheap and they offer a serious shipping discount (as does paypal if you're not selling through ebay, reverb or marketplace).
When I have something to sell I list it all over the place.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I list on Reverb and eBay, and eBay always ends up selling before Reverb. Plus, eBay has seller and buyer protection that are pretty good. You only hear about the horror stories (buyer says they never received the item, when I know they did, etc.), but eBay has come through for me as a seller many times, especially when someone had buyer's regret and wanted to return something after using it for a few weeks (and the auction stated "no returns"). Not sure if Reverb will do that; I'm thinking they won't.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb has excelent service for both sellers and buyers. On both sides I had proper help when needed.

I never heard of FB ship discount btw. Is that something for the US only?

For me FB works only in groups, as you only set a max of 200km regarding searches.

I do sell on the FB groups offen.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I'm not trying to spread misinformation--I was just restating what I saw this week and mentioning another avenue to sell gear. I think what the Drums for Sale was saying is that you have your base reverb fee. Then, if you aren't in the first page or two on Reverb and you want people to see your listing, you need to do a "bump" which is another 1%-5% fee, and then taxes and higher-than-expected shipping cost can take more away too.

And I agree about GC and SA--I tried to sell to them a few years ago and it was way low. I was talking about selling to the more local mom/pop stores. I've talked to a couple and they've quoted me a fair price. Not great, but not GC-level terrible either.
Apologies, I must have misunderstood your post. The takeaway is reverb will charge you 7.xx% but you could opt to pay more. But, why pay more when you can pay less and KEEP more?

Last edited:

DrumTransit

Reaction score
Apologies, I must have misunderstood your post. The takeaway is reverb will charge you 7.xx% but you could opt to pay more. But, why pay more when you capful pay less and KEEP more?
All good! Yes, I agree with you.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started on eBay in 1999 and maintained a 100% feedback rating on over 2,800 sales over 21 years. I left EBay last year after a FedEx Shipping Dispute that eBay sided with FedEx on. I packaged 4-14” new drumheads in a hat box and FedEx came back and said because the box was round they had a $30.00 minimum. WTF! I paid it and moved to Reverb. Then Reverb started shipping nonsense where they claim my scale miscalculated and they started to nickel and dime me more shipping. 4 ounces at a time on First Class!
Today I no longer sell on either. I don’t collect drums or cymbals any more, I no longer gloss or satin refinish shells, and I have no interest in building inventory that will only sell to bottom feeders. I have my Gretsch and Ludwig and Paiste cymbals. I am fine. The few percussion items I sell will be listed here. If they don’t sell here, no sweat. I got 4 grandsons to give them to.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one mentions

Ebay is an Auction site. a Clock runs and time is up.
Reverb is a For Sale ad that can run (what's the limit? is there a limit indefinitely)
I list on eBay and within minutes I have views & watchers and the stuff quickly sells.
it's on a clock. that's why partly why
On Reverb, the items just sit!
that's partly the point waiting for a best offer

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ebay you can list something (if you're ,,,) for $1 and watch it end at $698
reverb you can list something for $2000 and hope to get an offer of $698

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one mentions

Ebay is an Auction site. a Clock runs and time is up.
Reverb is a For Sale ad that can run (what's the limit? is there a limit indefinitely)

it's on a clock. that's why

that's partly the point waiting for a best offer
No Joe it's not. You can choose to put your stuff on auction or just list it for sale at a listed price and wait for a buyer. You have the choice! And I never list anything on auction. I did like 20 years ago but not anymore. I just list it for sale at set price (sometimes accepting best offers too) and wait for the sale. I don't know Reverb's limit but on eBay it's 30 days. And if you get to 30 days, you simply relist for another 30. Thing is that you probably wont get to 30 days. If you have the stuff priced right, it'll move quick. I've rarely had anything run more than 2 weeks!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you have something that is rare or vintage