REVERB vs EBAY selling: ease of use, fees etc... WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started on eBay in 1999 and maintained a 100% feedback rating on over 2,800 sales over 21 years. I left EBay last year after a FedEx Shipping Dispute that eBay sided with FedEx on. I packaged 4-14” new drumheads in a hat box and FedEx came back and said because the box was round they had a $30.00 minimum. WTF! I paid it and moved to Reverb. Then Reverb started shipping nonsense where they claim my scale miscalculated and they started to nickel and dime me more shipping. 4 ounces at a time on First Class!
Today I no longer sell on either. I don’t collect drums or cymbals any more, I no longer gloss or satin refinish shells, and I have no interest in building inventory that will only sell to bottom feeders. I have my Gretsch and Ludwig and Paiste cymbals. I am fine. The few percussion items I sell will be listed here. If they don’t sell here, no sweat. I got 4 grandsons to give them to.
With all due respect, 2800 successful sales in 21 years and you left because of a dispute over 4 drumheads?
Were there other issues as well that led you to that decision?
I think that with business transactions it's expected for things to go south every once in a while. I've been on eBay since 09/1997 and have had a few lemons (including disputes such as the one that you mentioned). It never crossed my mind to leave because of those issues. I just brushed it off and moved on to the next sale.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you have something that is rare or vintage
In that case you put it up for auction if you choose. But it's your choice!
You very well know I have nothing vintage, LOL!!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sell stuff on Reverb. Half of it sells within the first few days to a week because I price it right and describe it accurately. For those items I'm a bit higher on they may take weeks to months. In most cases I'm fine with
waiting for the right buyer who needs the item....not the guy who wants a 30% discount in week 1. On some items you have to lower prices every few weeks or a month to find the true market level....especially if you are not willing to wait months.

One way around the re-bumps is to price high enough where you can easily afford a 10-15% price drop next time around. 15% (and sometimes less) automatically bumps you to the top for the next round. I just lowered an item by 10.3% and got an
automatic bump. I've used the bump feature (with fees) at times in past years but found it nearly useless in getting the item sold for more money. Sure, if an item is really stale after sitting near the bottom of the stack for 6 months, pay a single bump fee to energize it.
I've had a few longer term items sell coming out of a "slumber" bump like that. Imo, anyone looking for an item will search for it....and that includes older listings.

While Reverb may take 7.7% with PP.....and Ebay in the 13-15% range everyone should realize that sharp buyers will back out BOTH shipping and state sales tax on the items they are buying. If an item is a fair deal at $100, they aren't going to slap on
$20 in shipping and $7 in sales tax to be happy at $127. They will offer you $70-$80 and let the seller eat shipping and taxes and fees. My typical NET on Reverb from the price the seller actually pays out the door is about 77-80%. Tried Ebay one time
3 yrs ago and "hooked" a scammer on my very first listing. Cancelled that transaction and never went back to try selling on Ebay. On Reverb over 3-1/2 years....not a single issue.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another drawback of the new Ebay money managing program (no longer paypal) They hold your receivables for 3 days then deposit into your bank acct which may take another 3 days to become available. So no funds from sales for up to 6 days whereas it used to be available immediately in your pay pal acct. Bummer, who the heck wants to wait 6 days for their money?!

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SELLING UPDATE...

I listed a guitar amp (very cool newer Vox 50 watt mini-head) on both Reverb and Ebay on Saturday...

Very competitive price, free shipping, make offer option, good photos. The 2 ads are identical.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THE RESULTS so far (Monday morning...)

Ebay... 95 views, 1 watcher

Reverb... 45 views, 2 watchers.

The real test will be if I get any offers. Time will tell.

(Honestly, with ebay's higher fees and new money management system, I am tempted to cancel the ebay ad and just wait it out thru Reverb where I am pretty sure it will sell eventually).

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another drawback of the new Ebay money managing program (no longer paypal) They hold your receivables for 3 days then deposit into your bank acct which may take another 3 days to become available. So no funds from sales for up to 6 days whereas it used to be available immediately in your pay pal acct. Bummer, who the heck wants to wait 6 days for their money?!
Paypal now holds your money until the item has been marked received by the postal service you use.
International this can take up to a few weeks, I had one time the shipping company didn't update anything and the seller had to contact paypal that it was received.

Its one of the few things I really don't like Paypal.

Another thing is that they hold funds for a period if you have sold something worth X or sold X amount in total a year.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FINAL UPDATE...

OK, the Vox amp has sold. Ebay had more views, but Reverb had more watchers.

One offer (from Reverb) finally came in and I accepted it.

I think ebay has more viewers but Reverb has better quality lookers.

Also, Ebay has changed their layout and payment system. I found it VERY trick y to end the auction on ebay. They redesigned the site and hid the "end auction" function in a small drop down menu. Very sneaky and tricky. Ebay really left a bad taste in my mouth.

MORAL OF THE STORY...

ITEM SOLD ON REVERB. I WILL NEVER SELL ON EBAY AGAIN.

The Texan

Reaction score
They both suck. I usually can buy new cheaper from other sites than used gear on ebay and reverb because of the taxes and shipping now. Therefore it is also harder to sell unless you give it away because if the taxes/shipping. Good thing about reverb is you can call and talk to someone on the phone easily if there is a problem.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They both suck. I usually can buy new cheaper from other sites than used gear on ebay and reverb because of the taxes and shipping now. Therefore it is also harder to sell unless you give it away because if the taxes/shipping. Good thing about reverb is you can call and talk to someone on the phone easily if there is a problem.
They no longer have a call number, just a live chat thing I'm pretty sure.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think ebay has more viewers but Reverb has better quality lookers.
I've only sold on Reverb, but this is a perception that I have too. I don't have any way to back it up... just a perception. In any case, I don't sell a lot of stuff but I've been happy with Reverb when I have.