Reversing Spurs

Balance

Reaction score
I've just finished putting my bass drum together, accidentally put the spurs wrong way around. The legs are tucked in and out of the way of everything, I really like it for that reason and I want to keep it but... is it safe to do in the long run? The legs wobble a bit, worried that the lack of sturdiness might cause issues down the road. (They're off of a Tama superstar BD and now on a Starclassic performer.) Legs are also a little too close to the lugs that are next to them but they don't seem to touch even when playing it.

Are there any issues associated with this setup in the long run? Or any other issue I should know about or has anyone tried this?

1.JPG

2.JPG

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't you just swap the legs on each side of the drum or are the mounting holes not in some sort of symmetrical layout?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, brother Balance ..... but this sounds a little like a put-on. I mean, spurs are there to perform two functions: locate the drum fore-and-aft (keep it from sliding); and brace the drum from side-to-side (keep it from rolling, especially if you are using a bass drum-mounted tom). That first pic of yours looks like a front-wheel washout (on a mountain bike) about to happen - we here in NorCal call that a "Marin County face plant"!

Seriously, why ...... with all the other stuff (cymbal stands, etc) surrounding your bass drum, how could tucking the spurs in under the drum possibly be of any benefit? Take off that front head and turn those mounts over the way they're supposed to be. Even if you have to drill new holes .......

Mike

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree. That's just not a good arrangement on so many levels.

GeeDeeEmm

Balance

Reaction score
Mounting holes are good for either spur, I can just swap them around. I'm not worried about the drum rolling or anything, just worried about damage to shell as I'm playing in my practice room.

Leg room is important, had a lot of trouble before with legs sticking out, small room, had a trickle affect that leads all the way to the toms. But if I have to swap them back around I will.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, man ........ really thought you might be "havin' a laff" ........

But to seriously address your concerns: I would not want to transmit the forces of the spur resisting the forward motion of the drum at footstrike in this way. Depending on how hard you play, there is a lot of forward push on the shell, and with the spurs pointing back like this, the mounting to the shell will be twisted (or torqued) back, instead of taking the load in a straight compressive fashion. Sorry if this sounds like technical jargon, but I would not choose to do this myself. Better to tether your bass pedal to your seat base in some way (chain, cable) and support the front of the drum on a thick book or whatever ..... that is, if space is really, really at a premium.

Love to know what you mean by "a trickle effect that leads all the way to the toms" ........ God knows I've tripped over stuff in my kit more times than I want to remember!

Mike

Balance

Reaction score
there is a lot of forward push on the shell, and with the spurs pointing back like this, the mounting to the shell will be twisted (or torqued) back, instead of taking the load in a straight compressive fashion.
Yeah, I thought that if there was a concern this would be it. I'll swap it back.

As far as the leg room(legs of drum stands, bass drums etc.), don't know how many of you practice in a small room but you move a stand you have to move them all (to all intents and purposes), that's what I meant.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get your point ....... sometimes I gig in a venue where I literally have to "paint myself into a corner" to play. Several pieces gotta move so I can get out on a break .......

M.

Latest posts