Review of Bosphorus 14" Turk Dark Hats

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got these Tuesday and was playing around with them today. I have a 902 gram top and an 1110 bottom. The video link below gives a good idea what they sound like. A couple bands ago I was in a fairly loud band and had 3000 (2002) 14" heavy hats. They were LOUD. With the Turks closed or very slightly open they sound like the 3000's, but at significantly lower volume. As they open the character gets closer to medium new beats. I put them up against medium New Beats and the Turks were quieter. I had hoped for something quieter still but these sound so beautiful and are so versatile I wouldn't change a thing. My 20" Antique flat ride is dark; It's a wobbler and so low in pitch that you can feel it but the music would have to be very quiet to hear it clearly. These Dark hats don't seem dark to me; slightly subdued, dry would be more apt.

Like the other seven Bosphorus cymbals I purchased they just sound good and the Turks and Antiques all play well together. It took me ten years to put together my first cohesive set of cymbals. By sticking to two lines by one maker I've assembled something better than that first set in a month. These are great pro cymbals which I acquired for modest prices by playing the game at Amazon. Hopefully the bargains will continue. These were sold by Amazon, returned and purchased by me from Amazon Warehouse for $130.

Video of 924 / 1134 Turk hats

P1030556.JPG
P1030555.JPG

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought that exact same pair! I purchased them from Amazon for about $200, and then returned them. I decided I prefer 15" hats, but those were really nice!

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a pair as well. I also think dry is a better descriptor than dark. I think the curved profile of the cymbal keeps it brighter. They have a lot of "stick" attack. It's a great sound, but didn't quite work for the purpose I thought they would. I do plan on using them on an upcoming project though. Can't have too many choices.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, $130. That's just nuts. These Bosphorus cymbals we have seen lately are sold way under value. This won't last. Enjoy your hats!

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, $130. That's just nuts. These Bosphorus cymbals we have seen lately are sold way under value. This won't last. Enjoy your hats!
Really, their perception that the Dark hats had "massive cosmetic damage" only caused them to price it $24 under the $154 returned Crisp Turk hats which are described as "very good" and which no one has yet bought. Some of the pricing, especially with Amazon itself as the seller, has been ridiculously low but I fear these glory days may be coming to an end. The $164 19" Turk flat ride order that I canceled in order to buy the $124 return has been received by Amazon and is now selling for $205. Some other pricing I follow is trending up. I hope it is just a blip and not a permanent change in pricing policy.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really, their perception that the Dark hats had "massive cosmetic damage" only caused them to price it $24 under the $154 returned Crisp Turk hats which are described as "very good" and which no one has yet bought. Some of the pricing, especially with Amazon itself as the seller, has been ridiculously low but I fear these glory days may be coming to an end. The $164 19" Turk flat ride order that I canceled in order to buy the $124 return has been received by Amazon and is now selling for $205. Some other pricing I follow is trending up. I hope it is just a blip and not a permanent change in pricing policy.
I bought a 20" Turk China this week for $154. After I bought it, the price immediately went back up. I think it depends on how long an individual cymbal has been sitting there. It's a pretty sweet cymbal too, only 1340g. Really dry and really trashy.

Furious Styles

Reaction score
I bought that exact same pair! I purchased them from Amazon for about $200, and then returned them. I decided I prefer 15" hats, but those were really nice!
I returned a pair as well. They sounded just like my 14" Antique Dark hats, which I absolutely love.