REVIEW: Yamaha EAD-10 LIVE Performance

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to finally use my new EAD-10 on Saturday at a private party. Venue was outside and I hadn't even had the chance to set it up and mess with it ahead of time. It was truly plug and play! Before plugging into the PA, I set it up (a 2-minute ordeal at WORST) and plugged my earbuds in and tried a few random pre-sets. WOW, I was blown away! I ran a mono signal to the mixer and set the gain and that was it. I mostly used the Arena setting. In retrospect, I need to dial down the bass drum trigger on that one to have a better balance. On other settings, the bass drum was more balanced to begin with.

Bass Drum Trigger: This was a huge surprise for me. No having to get it dialed in. No sensitivity issues. No cross triggering. No missed notes. It reacted perfectly and consistently all night. Wow, Yamaha!

Mic Array: Housed in the same unit as the bass trigger, I was concerned about how the floor tom would be picked up as the mic is almost at head level and physically off to the side of the FT. I feared the sound might be thin and lacking low end. Nope! Sounded big and warm and articulate.

Feedback Issues: Most of the video reviews have really been centered around practice use through headphones. The literature included from Yamaha definitely indicates that the EAD is designed for live performance as well. That said, I had zero issues with feedback. I treated the signal from the module just as I would any other miked source, setting a proper gain structure and channel EQ. Piece O' Cake.

Module: Simple, intuitive, effective, versatile, well designed, what else could I want?

What I Would Change?: Well, so far, absolutely nothing. I would like to add a nice carrying case with compartments for the components and cables. Overall, 5 Stars and my gig life just got a bit easier! FB_IMG_1519063149308.jpg

boomtat2.0

Reaction score
any problems with guitar or bass bleeding into mics ??? thats a concern i have for live usage...thx

xsabers

Reaction score
boomtat2.0 said:
any problems with guitar or bass bleeding into mics ??? thats a concern i have for live usage...thx
Nothing noticeable, certainly not any more than one would get with close mics and probably a lot less than with overheads. They claim the mics are designed to pick up sound within a 4' radius. Obviously, sound knows no bounds so if your guitarist plays a Marshall full stack at "11", any drum mic is going to be impacted. Just like vocal mics pick up drums.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I played a sub gig with a band I was with many years. The leader is really picky with his running sound. He absolutely LOVED the EAD! He did ask me to run it stereo next time so he could eq the kick trigger through his system. I told him, "no problemo"!

I have another gig with him next month. He's considering getting his own EAD for his regular drummer.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
DanRH said:
I played a sub gig with a band I was with many years. The leader is really picky with his running sound. He absolutely LOVED the EAD! He did ask me to run it stereo next time so he could eq the kick trigger through his system. I told him, "no problemo"!

I have another gig with him next month. He's considering getting his own EAD for his regular drummer.
Dan,
Why would running it in stereo give you the option to eq the kick separately? Is it simply a separate out for just the kick or can you assign the out on one side to just have the kick in it? Rob

xsabers

Reaction score
Treviso1 said:

Dan,
Why would running it in stereo give you the option to eq the kick separately? Is it simply a separate out for just the kick or can you assign the out on one side to just have the kick in it? Rob
My thoughts exactly. I know the inputs are A and B (kick and mics) but I thought the outputs were for stereo effects for the blended signal. Perhaps there's a way to pan the kick??? I should get into the manual a little deeper.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
xsabers said:

Dan,
My thoughts exactly. I know the inputs are A and B (kick and mics) but I thought the outputs were for stereo effects for the blended signal. Perhaps there's a way to pan the kick??? I should get into the manual a little deeper.
My plan is to pan the kick to the left and all the rest to the right.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
DanRH said:

Dan,
My plan is to pan the kick to the left and all the rest to the right.

That's what I thought you were talking about. Thanks for clarifying!

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I bought one. I was very hopeful it would mean less gear at my gigs. But I had to take it back to the store. My issues will be different to many drummers so it's just a personal viewpoint. This is a breakthrough product. However my problems were:

1. No hi-hats in the mix. This was a deal breaker. And really, how could a stereo condenser microphone mounted on the bass drum capture your hats?
2. My snare drum sits a little higher than most. So I got too much bottom head.
3. The bass drum sound was weak to me.
4. The unit runs at 44.1/16 bits. All my recording runs at 48/24.
5. I don't particularly like the sound of condenser microphones on toms.
6. 695/700 presets I will probably never use.
7. I'd have to find another spot for my cowbell. Horrible thought.

So I'm stuck with kick/snare/overhead/vocal microphones. It's a drag. But the success of this module ensures more progress in this area. I'm sure somewhere in China, the midnight oil is burning . . . .

xsabers

Reaction score
Funny, I have plenty of hi-hat in my mix. Also, if you don't get the trigger dialed in and balanced with the mics, the mic sound from the bass drum will dominate and you really need the trigger to be providing the bass drum sounds. Used my at a gig the other night and after sound check, I had a some guys from another band come up and tell me how great the drum mix sounded, everything was crystal clear and balanced.

R

RickP

Thanks for the review and tips Xsabers,
I was planning to use mine for Outdoor Live gigs this Summer. I have quite a few coming up and this will work well.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Funny, I have plenty of hi-hat in my mix. Also, if you don't get the trigger dialed in and balanced with the mics, the mic sound from the bass drum will dominate and you really need the trigger to be providing the bass drum sounds. Used my at a gig the other night and after sound check, I had a some guys from another band come up and tell me how great the drum mix sounded, everything was crystal clear and balanced.
What kind of music do you play? Are you a light touch player?

xsabers

Reaction score
anthony marquart said:
What kind of music do you play? Are you a light touch player?
Well, I play mostly classic rock and pop from the 70s up to say Gin Blossoms and Foo Fighters, but I always play to the room so there are times when I really hold back. The gigs I've used the EAD on have been smaller venues, including one outdoor party.

simedgoose

Reaction score
No issues here either. I find through the PA that the balance is almost perfect without me doing anything. If the hi hat were any louder I'd sound like someone gigging their first electronic kit (cymbals all way to loud).

I don't have an issue with 44.1/48kHz as pretty much all DAW convert instantly as you drag in the file... don't they these days?

Should I need a spot mic on something (which I generally don't, but such as the hi hat in troutstudio's case) I'll use a dynamic and plug it into the Aux In and do it that way and control the volume with the Audio/Click volume knob (I do have to use an XLR to mini jack which isn't ideal but it works very well).

I find the bass drum sound a very accurate facsimile of the real bass drum sound - if it booms, its a boom, if it thuds, its a thud. If you process the live bass drum sound loads to give you the sound you are looking for, then maybe triggering a sample, blended with the bass drum, will give you the sound you're looking for. Maybe a Steve Gadd kick sound or a Lars Ulrich kick sound (no accounting for taste...!)

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
I'm excited about getting the EAD10 this week. I plan on using it primarily for gigging - if it works as advertised, it will replace my bass drum and snare mics, and three triggers for my toms (via an ancient Alesis unit) in most live situations.

The posts and reviews citing some feedback issues concerned me, but not enough to pass on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
BTW, I picked up the snare trigger and will be using at my gig on Friday night. Report at 11...