REVIEW: Yamaha EAD-10 LIVE Performance

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
DanRH said:
BTW, I picked up the snare trigger and will be using at my gig on Friday night. Report at 11...
Interesting. Will you be triggering sounds or using it as your main snare voice?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Just using it as a main source. Were having a Soundman on Friday and well see how it goes.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am buying one tomorrow. I can't stand it any longer. The more research I do, the more I really like this idea. I am also open to the idea of using this in conjunction with mic'd drums and blending the two to varying degrees so that different kits can be used from tune to tune. This, all in addition to simply just using this instead of micing the drums.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
I am buying one tomorrow. I can't stand it any longer. The more research I do, the more I really like this idea. I am also open to the idea of using this in conjunction with mic'd drums and blending the two to varying degrees so that different kits can be used from tune to tune. This, all in addition to simply just using this instead of micing the drums.
The bane of being a musician in this era, is that its hard to try before buy. I have a retailer that refunded my full amount. Or I would have lost money. Great product; but if you normally have access to decent microphones and a mixer, this will not amaze you. If you dont need to imitate someone elses drum sound, likewise. I would try a hire first myself. YMMV. Good luck whatever you do. Could be perfect for you.

bernard

Reaction score
I can see this being perfect for a cover band that want to replicate at least part of a particular songs drum sound, without going all digital drums. I have been micing my small kit with a single condenser, sitting at that point on the BD rim, so I know that you can get a pretty good natural sound just using this (for small venues the cymbals/hihat leak is all that is needed anyway).

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
troutstudio said:
The bane of being a musician in this era, is that its hard to try before buy. I have a retailer that refunded my full amount. Or I would have lost money. Great product; but if you normally have access to decent microphones and a mixer, this will not amaze you. If you dont need to imitate someone elses drum sound, likewise. I would try a hire first myself. YMMV. Good luck whatever you do. Could be perfect for you.
I will have 30 days to return the item if I don't like it. I really can't lose by going this route.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bernard said:
I can see this being perfect for a cover band that want to replicate at least part of a particular songs drum sound, without going all digital drums. I have been micing my small kit with a single condenser, sitting at that point on the BD rim, so I know that you can get a pretty good natural sound just using this (for small venues the cymbals/hihat leak is all that is needed anyway).
Exactly why I'm looking at checking it out. Between two cover bands, there's always some song that plain old acoustic drums don't fit the bill for.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
mcjaco said:
Exactly why I'm looking at checking it out. Between two cover bands, there's always some song that plain old acoustic drums don't fit the bill for.
That is precisely the reason why I want one. I bought the snare trigger as well.

xsabers

Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Mine will be here today! I can't wait to use it Saturday at my gig....
Word of advice: Don't start with the Arena setting. Kick is very hot on that one unless you tone it down. Try a plug and play option using one of the Reverb settings (hall, studio, etc...) to get your feet wet. Plug earbuds directly into the unit to hear the pure signal at first. This will help you get dialed in. You may need an adapter as the phone jack is 1/4".

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Word of advice: Don't start with the Arena setting. Kick is very hot on that one unless you tone it down. Try a plug and play option using one of the Reverb settings (hall, studio, etc...) to get your feet wet. Plug earbuds directly into the unit to hear the pure signal at first. This will help you get dialed in. You may need an adapter as the phone jack is 1/4".
That sounds good! Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, it didn't come today...Arg...hopefully tomorrow.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
That sounds good! Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, it didn't come today...Arg...hopefully tomorrow.

Also adjust the microphone and trigger sensitivity to your liking. They are set to max and you might not realise it because they don't distort in an obvious way. Then you will need to turn up the main volume. I noticed in the drum shop the volume was on max and that's why. There's no separate headphone volume which is a bit of a drag but I was using a headphone amp anyway.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now Ive used the EAD 10 on a few gigs and for me its game over on gigs. Too much feedback issues and it just doesnt sound that good. However; Its great for teaching and practicing.

xsabers

Reaction score
Halldor L said:
Now Ive used the EAD 10 on a few gigs and for me its game over on gigs. Too much feedback issues and it just doesnt sound that good. However; Its great for teaching and practicing.
Are you using monitors or in-ears? These things absolutely work when set up accordingly with in-ear monitors. If it isn't working, you're doing something different than a lot of other users. I've never had feedback once. I have had drummers come ask me how my drums sound so good out front. I did take a good amount of time to dial in the mic and trigger levels, typically reducing the gain on the mics compared to the trigger. Also R-L balancing. Also, not all patches are created equal. Some I simply avoid for various reasons including unusually high gain settings.

toby7362

Reaction score
Old feed,
Maybe someone will respond...just came across this and am intrigued. I currently use a Roland SPD SX to create “kits” for each of the cover songs I do. The “kits” seem like they would be the scenes on this unit. I want to play live with it, save scenes for each song with tempo/click, and add external pads or my own samples. Is this able to do all of these things? Thanks so much to anyone out there.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You guys are lucky. If I get a mic at all it’s only for the bass drum. Guitar player is horribly loud...most always. Then he asks me to “hit harder”. I refuse at this point. 22 years of the same joke now.

I’ve been reading about the EAD-10 and certainly seems like the way to go.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Old feed,
Maybe someone will respond...just came across this and am intrigued. I currently use a Roland SPD SX to create “kits” for each of the cover songs I do. The “kits” seem like they would be the scenes on this unit. I want to play live with it, save scenes for each song with tempo/click, and add external pads or my own samples. Is this able to do all of these things? Thanks so much to anyone out there.
You can add external pads or acoustic triggers to trigger sounds from within the module or sounds you import. The number of inputs on the module, however, is quite limited, although you can use splitters or Yamaha's 3-zone pads to expand your options. It's not the same as having a traditional e-drum module that has anywhere from 10-14 separate inputs. I'm not sure I understand your "tempo/click" question.

samsdrum

Reaction score
Funny, I have plenty of hi-hat in my mix. Also, if you don't get the trigger dialed in and balanced with the mics, the mic sound from the bass drum will dominate and you really need the trigger to be providing the bass drum sounds. Used my at a gig the other night and after sound check, I had a some guys from another band come up and tell me how great the drum mix sounded, everything was crystal clear and balanced.
Can you help explain or give me some advice on how you can lower the volume (balance) of the mics vs. trigger. My bass drum, just using the earphones, always seems to dominate the mix. I play a 24" wide open so it is boomy, sounds great, but it just seems really loud compared to the snare and toms.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Do you guys notice a difference in sound when using different size bass drums? I'm not talking the sound from the bass itself.

I'm wondering about how the mic siting at different heights could affect how it picks up the rest of the set. In general, I think most of us try to keep the rest of our sets close to the same heights and spacing as able when using different sizes.

Latest posts